Manufacturing Operator (Rock Hill, SC)
Solvay is a multi-specialty chemical company committed to developing chemistry that addresses key societal challenges. We innovate and partner with customers in diverse global end markets. Solvay Composite Materials combines 50 years of technology heritage to bring a comprehensive product portfolio, expertise in material design, and extensive process engineering solutions to our customers. As the partner of choice for advanced materials development, we deliver optimal material solutions to address our customers’ most challenging demands for new high-performance materials to improve durability and production, while offering weight savings for the end application.
It is an exciting time to join our Team!!!! We offer excellent benefits and more than competitive pay. If you want a career and not just a “typical” job Solvay offers just that! Carbon fiber products offer advantages for advanced material solutions such as light-weight, high-tensile strength, manufacturing flexibility and heat resistance. Solvay offers a range of carbon fiber products that deliver superior structural, thermal, electrical and frictional performance for a variety of unique applications, including brakes, defense systems and commercial aircraft.
Job Overview and Responsibilities:
- Safely and efficiently start-up, operate, monitor, control, and shutdown fiber manufacturing equipment so that intermediate and finished products consistently meet internal and external customer requirements and expectations.
- Insure proper operating conditions and optimum capacity.
- Understand how fiber manufacturing equipment and process parameters affect intermediate and finished product properties and characteristics. Troubleshoot fiber manufacturing equipment and process problems to identify root causes and take corrective action to resolve problems.
- Recognize quality faults and make simple adjustments to insure good quality (learn and demonstrate a good understanding of the process whereby potential problems are corrected before they develop into off spec product).
- As production conditions dictate, other work will be assigned by supervisor to maintain efficient production.
- Perform routine maintenance as instructed to improve equipment reliability and process and product consistency.
- Perform the job in a team-based environment with minimum supervision.
- Apply understanding of manufacturing processes, production schedules, and cost factors to make timely cost effective decisions.
- Apply the appropriate process computing or desktop PC skills.
- Material handling, properly packaging and labeling of intermediate or finished product for storage or shipment.
- Take personal responsibility and build team accountability by taking action individually and as a group to continuously improve manufacturing equipment, products, and work processes.
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or GED.
- Minimum two (2) years recent manufacturing experience.
- (Recent military service may be substituted for manufacturing experience.)
Must comprehend the process, be capable of analyzing changes in the process, and make timely decisions with minimal assistance. Technical skills and self-motivation are required as competency must be demonstrated within the 12 month qualification period.
- Must be safety focused
- Must be detail oriented
- Must display initiative + excellent attendance record
Business/Technical Skills & Experiences (Must Have):
- Basic PC skills including communication via email, use of spreadsheets, use of company network and process computer, ability to write work orders, basic understanding of SPC, and legible handwriting.
- Ability to understand and apply written instructions/SOPs; able to read instrumentation and record data through computer input.
- Must comprehend the process, be capable of analyzing changes in the process, and make timely decisions with minimal assistance.
- Technical skills and team communication skills are required as a competency must be demonstrated within the 12 month qualification period.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time and work in a non-climate controlled environment
- Must be able to work 12-hr rotating swing shift and overtime as needed
- Must be able to use hands/fingers to operate, activate, use, prepare, inspect, place detect and position productivity machinery such as production equipment and computers
- Must be able to be exposed to and work in a production environment that can experience extreme swings in temperatures both cold and hot.Must be able to stand and walk while working on a concrete floor 75% of the time
- Must to able to carry, lift, transport and position material weighing a minimum of 40lbs
- Must be able to climb stairs, ladders or balance to ascend, descend and traverse stairs and work platforms to perform work duties
- Must be able to stoop, kneel, crouch or position self to maintain and position material used in production
- Must be able to see to detect, determine, perceive, identify, recognize, judge, observe, inspect, estimate and assess quality of product produced in production to meet quality standards