Position: Community Healthcare Worker
Reports to: DHHS Grant Program Director (PD)
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt Position/Non-Supervisor
The Community Health Worker (CHW) will be responsible for helping patients and their families to navigate and
access community services, other resources, and adopt healthy behaviors. The CHW supports providers and the
PD through an integrated approach to care management and community outreach. As a priority their activity will
promote, maintain, and improve the health of patients and their family. Provide social support and informal
counseling, advocate for individuals and community health needs, and provide services such as first aid, and
blood pressure screening. Community outreach, such as home visits and health screenings will be required.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
1. Responsible for establishing trusting relationships with patients and their families while providing general
support and encouragement.
2. Providing ongoing follow-up, basic motivational interviewing and goal setting with patients/families.
3. Conduct intake interviews with patients, including enrolling and/or referring patients into Montgomery
Cares, Sliding Fee program, Care for Kids, and other programs.
4. Conduct/develop community outreach and health literacy initiatives.
5. Follow-up with patients via phone calls, home visits and visits to other settings where patients can be
6. Assist patients with completing applications and registration forms.
7. Conduct eligibility determination, enrollment and follow-up with uninsured patients.
8. Help patients set personal goals, and attend appointments. Provide referrals for services to community
agencies as appropriate. Help patients connect with transportation resources and give appointment
reminders in special circumstances. Transporting patients is strictly prohibited.
9. Exhibit excellent working relations with patients, visitors and staff, effectively communicating Clinton
10. Work with medical provider as determined to help ensure that patients have comprehensive and
coordinated care. Follow-up with patients should be continuous from initial identification through closure.
11. Work cooperatively with other clinical personnel assigned to the same patient.
12. Be knowledgeable about community resources appropriate to needs of patients/families.
13. Be responsible for providing consistent communication to the PD to evaluate patient/family status,
ensuring that provided information, and reports clearly described progress.
14. Act as a patient advocate and liaison between the patient/family and community service agencies (i.e.
schools, Department Human Services, Heath Care for Homeless, hospitals, support groups, etc.).
15. Attend regular staff meetings, trainings and other meetings as requested.
16. Manage assigned caseload of patients.
17. Other duties as assigned.
PROFESSIONAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
1. High School Diploma or its equivalent
2. Successful completion of a Community Health Worker formal training program such as from a college or
other education institution is preferred.
3. Written and oral fluency in Spanish (preferred) and English required.
4. Experience working in a multi-cultural setting.
5. Experience working in a community-based setting for at least 1 to 2 years preferred.
6. Knowledge of some medical terminology preferred.
7. Basic computer skills.
8. Ability to initiate and maintain positive working relationships with Clinton ConNEXTion’s staff and other
9. Understand the community served – community connectedness.
10. Good communication skills, such as listening well, and using language appropriately.
11. Ability and willingness to provide emotional support, encouragement and motivation to patients
1) Maintains a professional relationship and positive attitude with co-workers, the public, patients and all
Clinton ConNEXTion’s partners
2) Maintains the highest professional ethics and is honest in dealing with people; is a model for all
employees through his/her actions
3) Strives to learn more and is receptive to learning different ways of doing things
4) Displays enthusiasm toward the work and the missions of Clinton ConNEXTion
1) Must have neat and legible handwriting
2) Must be able to interact with patients courteously and calmly
3) Ability to communicate well with the public
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Works well with patients in a generally comfortable environment office. Employees must possess the following
1) Must be able to hear and communicate with clients and staff on telephone and those who are served “in
person”, and speak clearly in order to communicate information to clients and staff
2) Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds
3) Must have vision which is adequate to read memo’s, computer screen, registration forms and other clinic
4) Must have high manual dexterity
5) Able to reach above shoulder level to work, must be able to bend, squat and sit, stand, stoop, crouch,
reach, kneel, twist/turn
6) May be exposed to contagious/infectious diseases