Rock Hill Schools
Virtual Academy Middle School Teacher
SC certification in any middle level area required with a strong GPA in relevant coursework
Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
Knowledge of effective and innovative instructional and student evaluation techniques
Experience working with appropriate level students preferred
Knowledge of instructional technology and the ability to integrate it into the curriculum
Willingness to work with other teachers to promote interdisciplinary studies
Skill in interpersonal relations with pupils, parents, teachers, staff and the general public
Outstanding references from current and former supervisors
Satisfactory SLED (SC Law Enforcement Division) report
Salary Range: Teacher Salary Schedule
Length of Contract: 190 days
Starting Date: 2020 – 2021 School Year
College transcripts, three references, and a copy of appropriate credentials should also be submitted during the application process.
Prior to employment, the District will request a criminal record history check for past action of crimes. For this reason, information about date of birth, gender, and race is requested as a part of the application process.
The district reserves the right to make changes to the job posting/description as necessary to meet the district’s needs.
VIRTUAL ACADEMY TEACHER
The job of the Virtual Academy Teacher is to provide all students with challenging work via a virtual learning platform that authentically engages them in the learning process and prepares them for successful futures.
This job reports to the Principal.
- Utilizes Canvas as the primary content, communication, teaching and learning platform for students.
- Sets clear and defined expectations for students and communicates them effectively so that roles and responsibilities of the student and the instructor are clearly defined.
- Ensures a quality learning experience by pre-determining learning plans and activities, content development, instructional design, delivery of instruction, and assessment.
- Carefully designs the student learning experience, communicates virtual learning expectations, and manages students’ learning experiences in an online environment.
- Checks in with students daily via web conference, email, and/or telephone, and holds routine office hours by setting specific times during the day when you will be available to respond to student questions.
- Monitors student learning and inquiries regularly and adjusts course content or learning experiences accordingly as this may indicate a need to clarify instructional expectations, assignment instructions, or to require the addition of content to support student learning.
- Utilizes video conferencing tools for face-to-face meetings and/or phone calls to support students-especially when they need assistance, when you need to explain complex concepts, or when you sense a disconnect or misunderstanding.
- Establishes work timeframes and routines to establish understanding of when course related activities take place so that students become familiar with work patterns.
- Informs students and parents of any changes to the learning schedule via Canvas, email, posting of announcements, and/or phone messages.
- Responds to student and/or parent inquires in a timely manner. This is critical as a students’ abilities to complete their work in a primarily online environment may be critically dependent upon a response from the instructor.
- Establishes and communicates a timely process and schedule for returning assignments and communicating grades based on program expectations, including providing a detailed overview of how assignments are to be submitted, will be graded, and returned to students.
- Communicates with parents regularly to ensure they know what is expected of students; to address any questions or concerns they may have; to inform them when work is assigned, and to provide notification when grades are expected to be posted.
- Maintains a record of all communications with students and parents as a log in the event clarification is needed or question arises. Follows up on all communication as soon as possible.
- Participates in scheduled planning sessions with virtual school staff and administrator.
- Other duties as assigned.
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
SKILLS are required to perform multiple, highly complex, technical tasks with a need to periodically upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skills required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: applying effective and innovative instructional and student evaluation techniques and developing interpersonal relationships with pupils, parents, teachers, staff and the general public; outstanding verbal and written skills.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform basic math, including calculations using fractions, percents, and/or ratios; read technical information, compose a variety of documents, facilitate group discussions; and analyze situations to define issues and draw conclusions. Specific knowledge required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job includes: knowledge of instructional technology and its applications to the teaching of Computer Technology.
ABILITY is required to schedule activities, meetings, and/or events; routinely gather, collate, and/or classify data; and use basic, job-related equipment. Flexibility is required to independently work with others in a wide variety of circumstances; analyze data utilizing a variety of complex processes; and operate equipment using standardized methods. Ability is also required to work with a significant diversity of individuals and/or groups; work with data of widely varied types and/or purposes; and utilize a variety of job-related equipment. In working with others, independent problem solving is required to analyze issues and create action plans. Problem solving with data requires analysis based on organizational objectives; and problem solving with equipment is limited. Specific abilities required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: communicating with diverse groups; maintaining confidentiality; working with frequent interruptions and working with other teachers to promote interdisciplinary studies.
Responsibilities include: working under limited supervision using standardized practices and/or methods; leading, guiding, and/or coordinating others; and operating within a defined budget. Utilization of some resources from other work units is often required to perform the job’s functions. There is a continual opportunity to impact the Organization’s services.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job’s functions require the following physical demands: occasional lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some climbing and balancing; infrequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 20% sitting, 40% walking, and 40% standing. The job is performed under minimal temperature variations and a generally hazard free environment. This position is a virtual position.
Job related experience is required
Bachelor’s degree in job related area
Pre-employment TB Test
Certificates & Licenses
South Carolina certification required with a strong GPA in relevant coursework
Continuing Educ. / Training
120 renewal credits every five years
Satisfactory SLED (SC Law Enforcement Division) report; outstanding references from current and former