Rock Hill Schools
The job of Purchasing Assistant is done for the purpose/s of assisting the Director of Purchasing in acquiring the necessary resources to support the district; maintaining accurate records and ensuring proper billing; ensuring that district revenues are effectively utilized and properly allocated; ensuring audit trail and reference documentation of purchases; and ensuring compliance relating to the District Procurement Manual and S.C. Consolidated Procurement Code.
This job reports to the Director of Purchasing.
- Assist departments with obtaining quotes.
- Evaluates documentation (e.g. requisitions, purchase orders, bids, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring proper use of district funds in the acquisition of supplies, equipment and/or services.
- Review and approve purchase requisitions.
- Serves as backup to the P-card administrator.
- Review, process, and maintain files for sole sources, emergencies, and unauthorized procurements.
- Maintain records (e.g. bids, RFP’s, purchase orders, receiving documents, vendor files, contract files, etc.) for the purpose of providing required documentation and audit trail for compliance with the District Procurement Manual and S.C. Consolidated Procurement Code.
- Match receiving reports with purchase orders and submits to Accounts Payable for the purpose of processing payment on a timely basis.
- Reviews monthly reports for outstanding purchase orders / receiving reports that have not been processed for payment.
- Monitors purchase orders, contracts, bids and budgetary expenditures for the department.
- Negotiates with vendors for the purpose of ensuring purchases are within district requirements.
- Participates in meetings, workshops and seminars for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform required functions.
- Procures supplies, services and equipment for the purpose of ensuring availability of items at a cost effective price.
- Researches existing contracts, suppliers, equipment and regulations, including evaluation of new products for the purpose of ensuring conformity to regulations and budgetary guidelines.
- Responds to inquiries from a variety of internal and external parties (e.g. staff, vendors) for the purpose of providing information, facilitating communication among parties and/ or providing direction.
- Reviews purchase orders, contracts and bids for the purpose of ensuring vendor compliance.
- Maintain contracts (expiration, renewals, etc.) using district software.
- Manage districtwide accounts from various vendors for supplies.
- Performs record keeping, budget tracking, and a broad array of general and department specific functions (e.g. typing, scanning, emailing, filing, reporting, etc.) for the purpose of supporting the Purchasing Director and disseminating information to appropriate parties.
- Other duties as assigned.
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
SKILLS are required to perform multiple, technical tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skills required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: operating standard office equipment including pertinent software applications; managing and monitoring projects in relation to budget expenditures; developing effective working relationships.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform basic math, including calculations using fractions, percents, and/or ratios; read a variety of manuals, compose a variety of documents in prescribed formats, understand oral instructions; and solve practical problems. Specific knowledge required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint), purchasing practices, and accounting practices.
ABILITY is required to schedule activities; gather, collate, and/or classify data; and use basic, job-related equipment. Flexibility is required to work with others in a variety of circumstances; work with data utilizing defined and similar processes; and operate equipment using defined methods. Ability is also required to work with a wide diversity of individuals; work with a variety of data; and utilize specific job-related equipment. Specific abilities required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: communicating with diverse groups; meeting deadlines and schedules; working as part of a team; flexible to changing conditions; dealing with frequent interruptions and changing priorities.
Responsibilities include: working under limited supervision following standardized practices and/or methods; providing information and/or advising others; and monitoring budget expenditures. Utilization of resources from other work units is often required to perform the job’s functions. There is a continual opportunity to impact district services.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job’s functions require the following physical demands: some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 90% sitting, 5% walking and 5% standing. The job is performed under minimal temperature variations.
A minimum of two years experience in public procurement is required. Knowledge of the South Carolina Consolidated Procurement Code is preferred
High school diploma or equivalent
Pre-employment TB Test
Certificates & Licenses
Continuing Educ. / Training
Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
Support Scale 4