Rock Hill Schools
General Services Worker
General Services Worker
The job of General Services Worker is done for the purpose/s of maintaining attractive grounds area/s that are safe for the students and staff and the community; protecting against erosion and playground areas and maintaining grounds for assemblies and/or recreational activities (e.g. but not limited to track, football, graduation, etc.); and ensuring assignments are completed in a safe, proper and timely manner.
This job reports to the General Services Foreman.
- Cleans landscaped areas and related items (e.g. storm drains, litter, etc.) for the purpose of preventing flooding and removing
- Coordinates with site administration and/or athletic coaches for the purpose of adjusting irrigation schedules, field preparation,
- Mows, weed and debris cleanup, trimming, removal of trees and tree limbs etc. for the purpose of maintaining safe and attractive properties.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the working
- Plant and maintain various landscaping (e.g. but not limited to turf, grass seed, shrubbery, flowers, trees, etc.) for the purpose of keeping the areas safe and attractive and for protection against erosion.
- Prepares documentation for the purpose of providing written support and/or conveying inform
- Prepares campus/facilities (g. but not limited to assemblies, graduation, ballfields, courtyards, flower beds, etc.) for the purpose of providing adequate, attractive and safe areas for assemblies, athletic events and/or recreational activities. This may include setting up and/or moving furniture and props and signs and other items in all areas of a campus.
- Responds to emergency situations that may or may not be within this scope of work for the purpose of resolving immediate safety concerns.
- Transports various items (e.g. but not limited to tools, equipment, supplies, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the availability of materials required at job
- Assist with storm water drains and retention ponds and playground equipment maintenance/install.
- Perform inclement weather procedures.
- Work with the District’s work order system and perform email communication.
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
SKILLS are required to perform single, non-technical tasks. Specific skills required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: operating equipment used in grounds management (i.e. Dump trucks, tractors, backhoe, skeed-steer, commercial lawn mowers, commercial weed-eaters, etc.).
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform basic math; read and follow instructions; and understand, written and oral instructions. Specific knowledge required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job includes: safety practices and procedures
ABILITIES are required to schedule activities, collate data, and consider a wide variety of factors, when using equipment.
FLEXIBILITY is required to work with data utilizing specific defined processes and utilize equipment under a variety of conditions for multiple purposes. Ability is also required to work with a wide diversity of individuals that work with specific job-related data and utilize a variety of types of job-related equipment. Problem solving with others may need the use of data to resolve an issue requires following prescribed guidelines and problem solving with equipment is significant. Specific abilities required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: working as part of a team and adapting to changing work priorities.
Responsibilities include; working with immediate supervision; providing information and/or advising others; and operating within a defined budget. Utilization of some resources from other work units may be required to perform the job’s functions.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job’s functions require the following physical demands: significant lifting of objects weighing 70 pounds or more, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; significant climbing and balancing; significant stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity, walking and standing. The job will be performed under extreme temperatures and/or some hazardous conditions. The job requires working from ladders and mechanical lifts and on various types of machinery on a constant basis.
Experience: Two years job related experience, Preferred
Education: High School diploma or equivalent, Preferred
Pre-employment TB test
Certificates & Licenses:
(If not current, required to complete the process of obtaining certification within the first year of employment)
Lifting Equipment Person/Product certification
Certified Playground Safety Inspector
Certified in Spraying and treating with pesticides
Certified/Trained in Turf Management
Certified/Trained in maintenance and restoration of athletic fields
Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
Clearances: Satisfactory SLED (SC Law Enforcement Division) or National report; outstanding references from current and former employers
FLSA Status: Non-exempt