Rock Hill Schools
General Services Worker – Grounds @ Facilities Services
High school diploma required
Two years experience in general lawn care maintenance
Considerable knowledge of the standard practices, methods, tools and materials of grounds maintenance
Working knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade
Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
Able to work with minimum supervision
Cooperative, able to work with supervising staff and peers
Outstanding references from current and former supervisors
Satisfactory SLED (SC Law Enforcement Division) report
Salary Range: Maintenance Salary Schedule C – Crew 3
Length of Contract: 12 months/8 hours per day (prorated for remainder of 2019-20 school year)
Starting Date: Immediately Upon Selection
College transcripts, three references, and a copy of appropriate credentials should also be submitted during the application process.
Prior to employment, the District will request a criminal record history check for past action of crimes. For this reason, information about date of birth, gender, and race is requested as a part of the application process.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The employee will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the appropriate administrator or supervisor Rock Hill Schools reserves the right to update, revise or change this job description and related duties at any time without prior notice.
GENERAL SERVICES WORKER – GROUNDS
The job of General Services Worker-Grounds is done for the purpose/s of maintaining attractive grounds area/s that are safe for the students and staff and the community; protecting against erosion and playground areas and maintaining grounds for assemblies and/or recreational activities (e.g. but not limited to track, football, graduation, etc.); and ensuring assignments are completed in a safe, proper and timely manner.
This job reports to the General Services Foreman.
- Cleans landscaped areas and related items (e.g. storm drains, litter, etc.) for the purpose of preventing flooding and removing hazards.
- Coordinates with site administration and/or athletic coaches for the purpose of adjusting irrigation schedules, field preparation, etc.
- Mows, weed and debris cleanup, trimming, removal of trees and tree limbs etc. for the purpose of maintaining safe and attractive properties.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the working unit.
- Plant and maintain various landscaping (e.g. but not limited to turf, grass seed, shrubbery, flowers, trees, etc.) for the purpose of keeping the areas safe and attractive and for protection against erosion.
- Prepares documentation for the purpose of providing written support and/or conveying information.
- Prepares campus/facilities (g. but not limited to assemblies, graduation, ballfields, courtyards, flower beds, etc.) for the purpose of providing adequate, attractive and safe areas for assemblies, athletic events and/or recreational activities. This may include setting up and/or moving furniture and props and signs and other items in all areas of a campus.
- Responds to emergency situations that may or may not be within this scope of work for the purpose of resolving immediate safety concerns.
- Transports various items (e.g. but not limited to tools, equipment, supplies, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the availability of materials required at job site.
- Assist with storm water drains and retention ponds and playground equipment maintenance/install.
- Perform inclement weather procedures.
- Work with the District’s work order system and perform email communication.
- Other duties as assigned.
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
SKILLS are required to perform single, non-technical tasks. Specific skills required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: operating equipment used in grounds management (i.e. Dump trucks, tractors, backhoe, skeed-steer, commercial lawn mowers, commercial weed-eaters, etc.).
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform basic math; read and follow instructions; and understand, written and oral instructions. Specific knowledge required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job includes: safety practices and procedures.
ABILITIES are required to schedule activities, collate data, and consider a wide variety of factors, when using equipment.
FLEXIBILITY is required to work with data utilizing specific defined processes and utilize equipment under a variety of conditions for multiple purposes. Ability is also required to work with a wide diversity of individuals that work with specific job-related data and utilize a variety of types of job-related equipment. Problem solving with others may need the use of data to resolve an issue requires following prescribed guidelines and problem solving with equipment is significant. Specific abilities required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: working as part of a team and adapting to changing work priorities.
Responsibilities include; working with immediate supervision; providing information and/or advising others; and operating within a defined budget. Utilization of some resources from other work units may be required to perform the job’s functions.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job’s functions require the following physical demands: significant lifting of objects weighing 70 pounds or more, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; significant climbing and balancing; significant stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity, walking and standing. The job will be performed under extreme temperatures and/or some hazardous conditions. The job requires working from ladders and mechanical lifts and on various types of machinery on a constant basis.
Experience: Two years job related experience, Preferred
Education: High School diploma or equivalent, Preferred
Required Testing: Pre-employment TB test
Certificates & Licenses: Valid motor vehicle Driver’s License
Clearances: Satisfactory SLED (SC Law Enforcement Division) or National report; outstanding references from current and former employers
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Salary Grade: C – Crew 3 Maintenance Salary Schedule