Rock Hill Schools
Food Service Accountability Specialist/Bookkeeper
FOOD SERVICE ACCOUNTABILITY SPECIALIST/BOOKKEEPER
Under the direction of the Chief Financial Officer and Food Service Contract Administrator, the Food Service Accountability Specialist/Bookkeeper manages the student free and reduced applications, performs a variety of financial and reporting activities in accordance with state and federal regulations and district policies and procedures, compiles National School Breakfast and Lunch data for purpose of reporting and documenting.
The Food Service Bookkeeper reports to the Food Service Contract Administrator.
- Compiles National School Breakfast and Lunch program data monthly and annual reports (e.g., meal counts, revenues, expenditures) for the purpose of documenting and reporting.
- Conducts audits (e.g. free and reduced application process) for the purpose of maintaining accuracy and consistency in compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Conducts free and reduced application verifications for the purpose of complying with state and federal regulations.
- Maintains a wide variety of information, files and records (e.g. bank statements, invoices) for the purpose of providing an up-to-date reference and audit trail.
- Performs other duties to include but not limited to invoicing, redeposits, student meal balance transfers, cash receipts for the purpose of assisting with the Food Service department functions and workload, as assigned or requested by management.
- Reconciles bank statement (e.g. MealPayPlus, food service account) for maintaining accurate records and account balances.
- Responds and communicates orally or by written communication to various parties for the purpose of researching and resolving issues regarding bank deposits, statements, prepayments, etc.
- Assists in collecting outstanding food service student meal balances.
- Assists the Accounting Manager with Food Service fixed asset reporting.
- Assists other personnel as may be required for the purpose of contributing to the efficiency and effectiveness of the food service program.
- Attends trainings/conferences for professional development as needed or required.
- Assists in scheduling and training of food service staff.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Job Requirements: Minimum Qualifications
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
SKILLS are required to perform multiple, technical tasks with a need to routinely upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skills required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: operating standard office equipment including utilizing pertinent software applications; administering Food Service policies and procedures; adhering to state and federal regulations; preparing and maintaining accurate and timely records and reporting; communicating with individuals of varied cultural and educational backgrounds; developing effective working relationships.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform basic math and analysis, review and interpret highly technical information, write technical materials, and/or speak persuasively to implement desired actions; and analyze situations to define issues and draw conclusions. Specific knowledge required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job includes: application of pertinent laws, codes, policies, and/or regulations; development of highly technical report formats; management of information systems terminology, concepts, and practices; and use of specific software such as accounting software, point of sale, SNACS, NutriScan, etc.
ABILITY is required to schedule activities, meetings, and/or events; gather, collate, and/or classify data; and use job-related equipment. Flexibility is required to independently work with others in a wide variety of circumstances; analyze data utilizing defined but different processes; and operate equipment using defined methods. Ability is also required to work with a significant diversity of individuals and/or groups; and work with data of varied types and/or purposes. In working with others, independent problem solving is required to analyze issues and create action plans. Problem solving with data requires independent interpretation of guidelines, and problem solving with equipment is limited. Specific abilities required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: providing leadership, direction, and team building; communicating with persons of varied educational backgrounds; establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with individuals from diverse professional backgrounds; working independently under time constraints to meet deadlines and schedules; organizing and communicating information and concepts; setting priorities; working as part of a team; analyzing situations and making accurate decisions; working with multiple projects; dealing with frequent interruptions and changing work priorities; working with detailed information/data and maintaining accurate records; maintaining confidentiality, meeting defined deadlines; and facilitating communication between persons with frequently divergent positions.
Responsibilities include: working under limited supervision following standard operating procedures and/or methods leading, guiding, and/or coordinating others; and operating within a defined budget; following local, state, and federal regulations and district policies and procedures. Utilization of some resources from other work units may be required to perform the job functions. There is a continual opportunity to impact the organization’s services.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job’s functions require the following physical demands: some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 70% sitting, 20% walking, and 10% standing. This job is performed in a generally clean and healthy environment.
Job related experience with increasing levels of responsibilities is required. School food service experience is preferred. Five years of food service administrative support experience required.
Associate degree preferred with K-12 school food service program experience and knowledge.
Pre-employment TB Test
Certificates & Licenses
Continuing Educ. / Training
Satisfactory SLED (SC Law Enforcement Division) report; outstanding references from current and former employers