Northern Tool + Equipment
PRIMARY OBJECTIVE OF POSITION:
Oversees the assigned store in a manner which ensures that all retail sales and related activities are performed in a professional, courteous, reliable and results-oriented manner. This direction should promote the goals and objectives of the company and put an emphasis on an increase in sales and profits.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Drives the establishment of meaningful goals and policy guidelines pertaining to retail sales operations and helps develop effective plans and programs to achieve sales goals and objectives.
- Manages and coordinates all store functions and personnel including interviewing, selecting qualified employees, ensuring adequate employee coverage, fielding questions on product and procedures, providing work direction, and performance management activities including conducting employee performance reviews and issuing disciplinary actions. Leads the process to ensure adequate employee coverage and scheduling to maintain effective store operations.
- Takes exceptional care that all customers are assisted in a professional, courteous, reliable, honest, and responsive manner. Responds to customers’ needs and acts as point of escalation and resolution for customer complaints and concerns within established guidelines.
- Develops, analyzes and has budgetary Profit and Loss (P&L) accountability including in the delivery of all revenue and direct expense objectives.
- Seeks ways to maximize alternate sources of revenue including but not limited to ensuring Service Protection Plan (SPP) sales, approved credit card applications, parts, billing of technical hours, warranty claims, add on sales, and commercial business growth meet or exceed Company established goals.
- Spends adequate time on the retail show floor in “a position to notice” to ensure an increase in employee knowledge and opportunities to make add-on sales. Ensures compliance to all non-negotiable and customer service standards.
- Implements retail training programs for the store to ensure all employees are fully trained in their positions and cross-trained as needed. Oversees the completion of all assigned training for store employees in a timely manner using available resources including the company’s learning management system.
- Drives effective communication and implementation of important company information including direction from the Corporate Office, programs, and policies to all staff. Obtains understanding, involvement, and commitment of employees by keeping them informed of, and trained in the use of new products, ongoing advertising, price changes, and Company and regional sales promotions and contests.
- Ensures that store appearance is in compliance to Company policy, such as the company merchandising standards, and that all changes made display the product effectively to promote sales, is properly priced and signed, and is consistently maintained in a neat and orderly condition. Oversees the completion of all merchandising programs according to deadlines including line reviews and revisions accurately.
- Oversees that inventory at the store is properly managed to meet Company inventory standards, as measured by regular cycle counts, internal audits and physical inventories. Makes sure company’s assets are adequately protected against theft or other suspicious activity by following best practices and complying with all Company Loss Prevention (LP) policies.
- Oversees the balancing of all money received according to established procedures and Store Operating Platforms (SOPs). Immediately works with LP to investigate discrepancies and take corrective action when necessary.
- Works with the Merchandising department to ensure adequate inventory is allocated to the store, informs them of repeated problems with products, recommends added or discontinued products, provides notification of recurring stock-out situations, abnormal sales trends and other information relevant to allocating inventory. Provides input concerning inventory issues to regional sales manager for follow-up when necessary.
- Informs the Retail Marketing department of any local advertising opportunities to ensure the effectiveness of media used and to increase retail sales.
- Leads the Manager on Duty (MOD) process by acting as the MOD when needed and ensuring MOD responsibilities are completed by assigned personnel including following established opening and closing procedures.
- Participates in all non-commissionable events deemed necessary by the Company such as sales meetings, trade shows, etc.
- Keeps supervisor informed of important developments, potential problems, and related information necessary for effective management. Coordinates and communicates plans and activities with others, as appropriate, to ensure a coordinated work effort and team approach.
- Performs related work as apparent or assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school education plus at least 2 years of college. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in marketing, business administration or a related field preferred.
- At least 4 years of related retail sales experience.
- At least 2 years of supervisory experience.
- Ability to lead, guide, and mentor store employees.
- Must exhibit sound decision making qualities.
- Strong customer service, sales, decision and problem solving skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with a wide variety of customers, Company personnel and others.
- Ability to operate and use a Personal Computer (PC) with working knowledge of Microsoft Office Skills including Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- Strong analytical skills and understanding of common retail and financial metrics.
- Ability to maintain a working knowledge of the company’s intranet including related Store Operating Platforms (SOPs).
- High mechanical aptitude including having knowledge of light industrial products, hydraulics, etc preferred.
- Ability to work a schedule that maintains effective store operations.
- Required to be part of 24-hour security company call list in order to respond to off hour alarm issues.
- Handles confidential information with the utmost judgment and discretion.
- Demonstrates Northern Tool + Equipment’s 12 Core Competencies.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequently required to use hands to handle objects; and talk or hear.
- Ability to lift up to 70 pounds.
- Frequent bending, twisting, stooping, reaching and lifting.
- Required to stand on cement floor for long periods of time.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS:
Direct supervision of:
1-2 exempt employees
5-20 non-exempt employees