Pulp Dryer Superintendent
SUMMARY: Lead the overall operation of the pulp drying process (pulp drying performance, cutting, stacking, baling and loading) to optimize safety, environment, quality, productivity, team development and cost. Deliver returns above the cost of capital and exceed the expectations of the business owners.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee daily operation of the Pulp Dryer with an emphasis on safety risk reductions, environmental compliance, quality improvements in product and process, productivity gains through optimization strategy implementations, improving team skills through implementation of work standards and improving day to day cost by designing out waste.
- Provide leadership and direction necessary to drive a zero incident safety culture.
- Coordinate maintenance activities for the Pulp Dryer area with the Operations Maintenance Coordinator (OMC). Design in maintainability and reliability to make down activities safer and more efficient.
- Work/coordinate with Lead Operators, Shift Supervisors, and area management to meet product quality and production requirements.
- Drive improvements in skills and productivity of the Pulp Dryer area employees.
- Implement long-term strategies through continuous improvement tools designed to improve safety performance, increase operating efficiency, and reduce cost.
- Continue to drive a culture change towards self-direction, ownership, and engagement.
- Develop and manage area operating budgets.
- Team of Hourly.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Four-year engineering degree or equivalent operational experience in a paper mill or Kraft Pulping environment.
- Solid understanding of the operation of an integrated pulp & paper mill.
- Excellent leadership ability, including strong problem solving skills and the ability to work collaboratively across multiple disciplines.
- Demonstrated supervisory success in similar environments.
- Demonstrated ability to train and mentor direct reports.
- Effective communication skills–written, interpersonal, and oral presentations.
- Quickly build and then sustain trust.
- Demonstrated ability to balance priorities to meet short and long-term goals.
- Functional use of various office productivity products and enterprise planning systems.
- Possesses an entrepreneurial and innovative spirit.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit and use hands to handle or feel.
- The employee frequently is required to talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level in the work environment can be loud at times.
- Regular exposure to moving mechanical parts.
- May be exposed to wet and/or humid conditions.
- Occasionally exposed to high, precarious places, fumes or airborne particles; vibrations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- No license requirement.
- Experience with Continuous Improvement Systems; TPS, Six Sigma preferred
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.