Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety
Media Product Developer
Convinced that the continuing cycle of human suffering that strikes families and communities in the wake of severe weather can be broken, the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS) is a team of scientists and risk communicators who deliver strategies to build safer and stronger homes and businesses. IBHS’ real-world impact enables the insurance industry and affected property owners to prevent avoidable losses.
IBHS is an independent, nonprofit, scientific research and communications organization supported solely by property and casualty insurers and reinsurers that conduct business in the U.S. or reinsure risks located in the U.S.
IBHS is seeking a multi-media product developer to help tell the story of our research and to ultimately help foster greater resilience of our homes and businesses to severe weather. This position will be housed within the newly created product design team but will work across the entire organization. The successful candidate will help create and design visual elements for use in videos, info-graphics, web-based content, presentations, and other product output channels. We are seeking highly creative individuals with experience in existing and emerging media technologies to help bring people inside the severe weather hazards that we study through visual stories. The successful candidate will be someone willing to help push the boundaries of visual story telling of natural hazards and how to push our homes and businesses to be more resilient to severe weather.
Potential candidates must demonstrate experience that can relate to one or more of these broad areas:
- Experience with media product design and development cycle (i.e. conceptual design, product user research testing, product delivery and implementation)
- Design of innovative media experiences (i.e. 2D, 3D, Mixed Reality, Virtual Reality, and dynamic typography)
- Strong understanding of best practices for storing and exporting video/graphics for use in different platforms (i.e. social media, wed-based, mobile device etc.).
- Ability to translate verbal concepts into visual expression
- Experience in data and mapping/geospatial visualizations
The potential candidates must possess these core competencies:
ü Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary and diverse team
ü Flexibility to adapt to changing requirements or current events
- Bachelor’s degree in Design, Graphic Design, Motion Media Design, Visual Effects, Interactive Design and Game Development, Immersive Reality and Animation. Candidates with degrees in Computer Science and Information Technology coupled with the above described experiences are also encouraged to apply.
IBHS Core Values:
- Integrity – Consistent, dependable, reliable, and accountable. Capable of planning and executing projects to collect meaningful data, striving for high quality data and results, following prescribed procedures or suggesting and documenting deviations to ensure quality, systematic results.
- Professional Excellence – knowledgeable, experienced, and respectful. Personally respected internally and externally for quality work, attention to detail and knowledge aimed at improved testing and performance. Ability to communicate in a professional manner for audiences of varying levels.
- Credibility – Honest, believable, trustworthy, accurate, and knowledgeable. Sets reasonable expectations and deadlines and meets them. Has a reputation for being dependable and trustworthy. Ensures all tasks are completed accurately, demonstrating attention to detail and employing industry or best practices.
- Real-World Impact – Transformative, actionable, meaningful, passionate, and influential. Actively participates in making IBHS a better place to work by suggesting things that improve safety and work flow. Encourages team to fully understand that the work we do will have long lasting impact in building safer, stronger communities. Considers audience needs and strives to meet them when delivering information to ensure biggest impact.