Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety
This position will provide laboratory support for a variety of projects led by researchers. The primary role will be to conduct systematic testing in hail, wind, or fire topics, as directed by supervisor and project leaders, recording data and observations as prescribed, at the IBHS Research Center in South Carolina related to the strategic goals identified by the Research Advisory Council (RAC). Other duties include assisting the production team, maintaining the hail lab space and supplies, constructing and preparing test samples, cataloging samples, and operating various equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Support researchers by conducting testing as prescribed, following exact instructions for testing, number of samples, data collection, and storage of test samples.
- Keep datasets, samples, and materials organized by project.
- Operate testing equipment such UTM, hail machine, ice ball cannon, steel ball dropper, COMET, and others to conduct testing.
- Construct or prepare test samples.
- Update SOPs as processes change.
- Assist in data collection efforts for aging farm.
- Maintain hail lab spaces, tools, and supplies.
- Assist production team as needed.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent. Some college level experience in a lab science is preferred.
Experience: Classroom or professional experience in lab. Experience using bench top lab equipment a plus. Forklift and aerial lift platform certification a plus.
- Aptitude to learn safe and effective uses of standard and custom lab testing equipment.
- Ability to communicate clearly and work with engineers, technicians, scientists and contractors through written correspondence and verbal communication.
- Ability to use a computer for basic e-mail communication and word processing.
- Ability to use customized computer software and spreadsheets for data collection or entry.
- Ability to work individually and as an integral part of a team.
- Quality assurance – willingness to learn the proper procedures for all processes and to ensure that the proper methods are used during each step of any process.
- Flexible, adaptable, self-motivated, and self-starting.
IBHS Core Values:
- Integrity – Consistent, dependable, reliable, and accountable. Does what he/she says. Works safely. Follows procedures and does not compromise data.
- Professional Excellence – Knowledgeable, experienced, and respectful. Known for high quality, on-time work. Willing to learn new things, and strives for high-quality work, conduct testing as prescribed. Respects and is respected by colleagues.
- Credibility – Honest, believable, trustworthy, accurate, and knowledgeable. Sets reasonable deadlines and meets them. Has a reputation for being dependable and trustworthy.
- Real-World Impact – Transformative, actionable, meaningful, passionate, and influential. Actively participates in making IBHS a better place to work by suggesting things that improve safety and work flow. Takes pride in the fact that the work we do will have long lasting impact in building safer, stronger communities.