Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety
Content and Product Developer Specialist
Content Specialist / Product Developer
Convinced that the continuing cycle of human suffering that strikes families and communities in the wake of severe weather can be broken, the Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety (IBHS) is a team of scientists and risk communicators who deliver strategies to build safer and stronger homes and businesses. IBHS’ real-world impact enables the insurance industry and affected property owners to prevent avoidable losses.
IBHS is an independent, nonprofit, scientific research and communications organization supported solely by property and casualty insurers and reinsurers that conduct business in the U.S. or reinsure risks located in the U.S.
An exciting full-time opportunity to work collaboratively with the Product and Media teams to develop compelling content for IBHS. We are seeking a multi-media product developer to help tell the story of our research and to ultimately help foster greater resilience of our homes and businesses to severe weather. Develop new eye-catching tv and digital media-friendly content, interact with scientist and engineers to help focus messaging to our diverse audiences (i.e. consumers, insurers, policy makers, science and engineering communities etc.), pitch new content ideas, and develop strategies to implement the use of products on various social media platforms, including Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. Responsible for executing product development process and manage existing products across multiple categories, including designing and maintaining look and feel according to company style guides. As the Product Developer, you must have the ability to organize and express ideas clearly, concisely and accurately, verbally and in writing. The ability to lead small project-driven teams is also a critical skill for this position. Potential candidates must demonstrate experience that can relate to one or more of these broad areas:
- Multi-media content development for TV & digital media
- Science, engineering, and technology communications
- Graphic design
- Ability to create compelling visual or written stories from technical content
This position is not a supervisory role, but the successful candidate will be asked at times to lead small teams during the project development and management life-cycle.
The position is focused in the Charlotte-metro area of the Carolinas at the IBHS Research Center, but an option to be housed at IBHS’ Tampa, FL office.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud – Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator
- Producing and editing video content in Adobe Premiere
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Bachelor’s degree in design, marketing, or a related field; or a STEM field with relevant creative experience (broadcast meteorologists are encouraged to apply)
- Portfolio of strong creative work
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to work both independently, work within a team, and provide leadership in small project-driven teams.
- Strategic thinking skills
- Good eye for detail
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously in a diverse team
- Flexibility to adapt to changing requirements or current events
Additional experience in the following areas are a plus:
- Experience communicating natural hazard information to diverse audiences
- Science communication
- Animation skills using After Effects
- Experience with virtual reality, immersive mixed reality technologies
- Studio engineering experience and live broadcasting for web streaming
IBHS Core Values:
- Integrity – Consistent, dependable, reliable, and accountable. Capable of planning and executing projects to collect meaningful data, striving for high quality data and results, following prescribed procedures or suggesting and documenting deviations to ensure quality, systematic results.
- Professional Excellence – knowledgeable, experienced, and respectful. Personally respected internally and externally for quality work, attention to detail and knowledge aimed at improved testing and performance. Ability to communicate in a professional manner for audiences of varying levels.
- Credibility – Honest, believable, trustworthy, accurate, and knowledgeable. Sets reasonable expectations and deadlines and meets them. Has a reputation for being dependable and trustworthy. Ensures all tasks are completed accurately, demonstrating attention to detail and employing industry or best practices.
- Real-World Impact – Transformative, actionable, meaningful, passionate, and influential. Actively participates in making IBHS a better place to work by suggesting things that improve safety and work flow. Encourages team to fully understand that the work we do will have long lasting impact in building safer, stronger communities. Considers audience needs and strives to meet them when delivering information to ensure biggest impact