Leroy Springs, Inc
Adventure Wilderness Camp Counselor I
Adventure Wilderness Residential Camp (Rising 5th through rising 9th graders)
Adventure Wilderness Residential Camp will be held at Springmaid Mountain Resort in Spruce Pine, NC. Adventure Wilderness Camp is co-ed offered for campers who are rising 5th through rising 9th graders. Campers will experience a variety of activities including specialized and traditional camp activities. This is an overnight camp, from Sunday to Saturday.
Camp Training Sessions: May 16th – 20th at Anne Springs Close Greenway, times TBD
Camp Dates: July 3rd – July 16th, Sunday – Saturday
Staff arrival Saturday, July 2nd
Camp hours: This is an overnight camp, running from Sunday – Saturday. Camper drop-off will be Sunday afternoon; camper pick-up will be Saturday morning.
Camp Location: Springmaid Mountain Resort, Spruce Pine, NC
Guide and counsel girls and boys in camp activities, teach the camper new skills, and help carry out camp goals. The counselor is responsible for planning, teaching, coordinating, and carrying out activities and guiding campers in their personal growth. This is a seasonal position that reports to the Camp Director.
• Assist in the instruction, supervision, and organization of campers
• Apply age appropriate and readiness principles in working with campers through communication, relationship development, and respect for diversity, involvement and empowerment of youth
• Deliver programming based on camp program goals, policies, and procedures to provide a quality outdoor education/camp experience for the campers
• Carry out activities to encourage personal growth, learn skills, and provide challenges
• Maintain high standards of safety and security to prevent accidents and to respond appropriately in emergency situations
• Maintain, use, and store equipment properly, report repairs
• Maintain order and cleanliness in general camp areas
• All other job duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
• Be a role model to campers and staff in your attitude and behavior
• Set a good example to campers and others
• Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities
• Promote good sportsmanship
• Ability to interact with all age levels
• Certified or ability to become certified in First Aid/CPR
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Must be 18 years of age or older
• Must have a high school diploma or equivalent
• Must be able to attend week of camp training
• Must be able to work majority of the summer. All camp staff get one consecutive week off during summer.
Current CPR, First Aid, AED certifications
Child Abuse prevention training; will train
Some physical requirements of a Camp Counselor include: endurance, prolonged standing, some bending, stooping, walking long distances, hiking, biking, climbing, and stretching; requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate outdoor equipment and camp activities; requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate camper activities/programs and the ability to lift up to 50lbs; daily exposure to inconsistent weather conditions such as sun, heat, or rain and animals such as bugs and snakes, etc.