Leroy Springs, Inc
Adventure Seekers Camp Program Leader-Kayaks
To teach specific and specialized Kayaking skills appropriate to the camper’s age and abilities while maintaining a safe and fun environment. Average hours is 25-30 hrs/week. This is a seasonal position that reports to the Camp Director.
Camp Training Sessions: June 14th – June 18th
Camp Dates & Hours: June 21st – August 6th; Monday – Friday, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Camp Location: Founders Dairy Barn & Hampton Wildlife Fund Adventure Center
• Able to lead and teach specialized skills
• Develop and deliver specialized programming activities according to the abilities of the campers
• Create skill building activities that can be done by the campers to provide challenges and build their skills
• Supervise and participate with campers in activities
• Assist in organization of group and discipline
• Maintain high standards of safety and security to prevent accidents and to respond appropriately in emergency situations
• Maintain, use and store specialized equipment properly; report repairs
• Maintain order and cleanliness in general camp areas
• All other job duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Be a role model to campers and staff in your attitude and behavior
• Set a good example for campers and others
• Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities
• Promote good sportsmanship
• Ability to interact with all age levels
• Current CPR, First Aid, AED certifications and Child Abuse prevention training; will train
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Must have a high school diploma or equivalent
• Must be 18 years of age or older, preferred age of 21 or older
• Must be able to attend the week of camp training
• Must be able to work a majority of the summer. All camp staff get one consecutive week off during the summer.
• Kayaks – must be lifeguard certified
• May serve as a camp counselor when not on duty with specialized programming
Some physical requirements of a Program Leader position could be endurance including prolonged standing, some bending, stooping, walking long distances, hiking, biking, climbing, and stretching; requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate outdoor equipment and camp activities; requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate camper activities/programs and the ability to lift up to 50 lbs; daily exposure to inconsistent weather conditions such as sun, heat, or rain and animals such as bugs and snakes, etc.