Sr. Mechanical Designer
At Eclipse, we combine know-how in production, manufacturing and distribution to provide custom state-of-the-art automated solutions worldwide. We service the Life Science, Transportation, Energy, Consumer, Electronics and Industrial markets. Eclipse has 14 facilities in Canada, the United States and Europe.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Mechanical Engineering Managers, the Mechanical Designer will work directly with Mechanical Design Lead and Design teams to ensure projects are met on budget. The incumbent will work with the management and department personnel to deliver the Eclipse Vision and the Eclipse Entrepreneurial Culture.
- Perform engineering calculations with respect to strength of materials, speeds, horsepower, temperature, pressure, force, etc. as related to machine and tool designs
- Analyze engineering drawings and specifications to determine shape, dimensions, hardness etc. in the development of equipment, processes and products
- Examine feasibility of using one or more machines to carry out sequential operations
- Produce working drawings, detail drawings and bills of materials for equipment, sub-assemblies or product using Auto CAD and SolidWorks
- Analyze designs and systems for compliance to applicable standards (i.e. OSHA, CE or customer specific)
- Review drawings for accuracy, material selection, proper machining techniques, finishes, hardness, etc.
- Liaise with vendors for technical information and specifications
- Communicate all requested design changes to the Applications Manager
- Responsible for communicating progress on tasks to supervising designer
- Formalize and update drawing documentation
- Create drawings of existing tooling through the use of precision measuring devices such as verniers and micrometers1
- Liaise with fabricators, machinists, toolmakers and electricians in the completion of equipment and resolving problems
- A working knowledge of common machine shop techniques
- Must have thorough knowledge of drafting principles
- Must be proficient in AutoCAD and SolidWorks
- Must be capable of designing tooling from sketches or verbal concepts
- An understanding of the use of pneumatics and hydraulics
- An understanding of the use of electrical devices (i.e. switches, load cells, LVDT’s etc.)
- Work requires professional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Assist in preparing customer documentation
- Adhere to all Health and Safety rules and procedures
- Ability to work in a team environment and actively participate in group meetings safely
- Complete other duties and projects as assigned
- Work requires willingness to work a flexible schedule including weekends and or travel as required in varying timelines
- Ensure scheduled milestones are met
- Notify the appropriate departments if milestones are not met
- Adhere to the Eclipse Project Operating Policy
- Maintain good corporate citizen role in support of the Eclipse corporate Vision
- Ensure that all business activities are performed with the highest ethical standards and in compliance with the Eclipse Automation Inc. Conduct Code
- Foster the development of a culture reflective of the core values of the business
- Expectation of travel to vendor/supplier locations is less than 15% of time, however may be exceeded in exceptional circumstances to meet project needs
- Has successfully completed either a University Degree or College Diploma in Mechanical Engineering / Robotics Automation Technology or equivalent experience
- Preferably one or two co-op terms in mechanical design/drafting
- Experience in an automation environment will be considered an asset
This position is open for Eclipse Automation in Rock Hill, SC.
Eclipse is an AODA compliant organization, and accommodations are available upon request.
We support an environment where teams work together and where people can learn, grow, and thrive.
The Eclipse culture is fast-paced and we value an entrepreneurial spirit and an innovative mind-set. Our people have the courage to create with relentless reinvention. They take action, are proud of their work and love what they do. Join our organization and you will work with talented, committed and supportive teammates.
For its sixth consecutive year, Eclipse was recognized as one of Canada’s Best-Managed Companies for overall business excellence. Eclipse was also a six-year recipient of the Growth 500 Award that celebrates Canada’s most dynamic and successful businesses.
Employee Benefits and Perks
With over 650 employees, we believe that our people are our greatest assets and our biggest competitive advantage. We offer a comprehensive benefit package that supports the growth and well-being of our staff.
- Competitive Pay
- Extended Health, Wellness and Dental Plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Minimum 3-Weeks Vacation at Start
- Emergency Travel Assistance
- Matching Retirement Savings Contributions
- BBQ’s, Golf and More
- Complimentary Deluxe Snacks
- Modern Lounge and Games Room
- On-site Employee Gym
- Education Financial Support
- International Exchange
- Leadership Programs
- Discounts at the Eclipse Store
- Employee Referral Program
- Safety and First Aid Training
- Safety Shoes and Hardhats
- Tool Purchase Program