INTERNATIONAL TRANSPORTATION ANALYST
International Transportation Analyst
Location: Fort Mill, SC
Reports to: International Transportation Supervisor
We are looking for an analytical, detail-oriented and technical minded individual to join Domtar as an International Transportation Analyst.
Reporting to the International Transportation Supervisor, this role will support the international movement of Pulp, Paper and Personal Care products from multiple manufacturing and distribution facilities across North America to overseas destinations. You will be asked to clearly communicate with internal customers including manufacturing and converting facilities, planning, sales service and supply chain partners to ensure a smooth flow of product to our customers. The successful candidate will enjoy using numbers, statistics and analytics to develop models to support the operations of Domtar’s export Supply Chain functions.
- Provide effective communication and interaction with internal and external business partners, including ocean, dray and air service providers, freight forwarder/3PL, customs brokers, port personnel, sales, customer service, manufacturing facility personnel, IT, AP, Legal, and risk management on a daily basis to assure Domtar’s export supply chain operates successfully.
- Work with internal parties to set up new destinations, ocean rates, visibility and other resources to ensure the infrastructure needed to successfully support exports.
- Ongoing comparison of logistic models and costs, constantly reviewing that best routing options are being utilized based on ocean and rail networks, Domtar sites, and warehouse locations; ongoing freight cost and routing optimization. Provide direction and support to overseas sales and customer service team when routing exceptions become necessary.
- Provide information, offer solutions, and coordinate initiatives for international transportation and logistics cost reduction opportunities.
- Assure market readiness by analyzing current need, growth, and vendor capability to determine service provider base and meet the current and future needs of the business supported.
- Develop annual export forecasts of tonnage and volume by discharge port to be used for planning purposes by service providers.
- Maintain freight rates and tables for accrual and freight payment; Provide rate discrepancy support for freight billing as needed
- Compile and maintain export volume data in monthly and annual reporting formats; Gather and maintain freight spend data; Develop and maintain volume and freight cost database tool; Maintain export ocean statistics and analysis for the team; Create reporting as needed
- Manage export data integrity within Domtar ERP system, collaborate with service providers and manufacturing sites, sales, sales ops, and customer service to assure essential and accurate data management
- Manage the flow of documentation and shipment data, including Bills of Lading, Commercial Invoice, Packing List; Distribute the necessary documents among freight forwarder, supply chain support, and billing teams to facilitate all back office export processes
- Provide support to the manufacturing facilities and work with service providers to arrange late gates, documentation extensions and support drayage operations.
- Track and manage demurrage and detention by working with sales, sales ops, forwarders, warehouses and ocean carriers to verify charges, approve for payment and track spending.
- Provide logistics support for exception shipments, which may include LCL, Airfreight, Overseas internal warehouse-to-customer shipments.
- Maintaining and improving relationships of supply chain partners.
- Provide guidance for 3PL/freight forwarder execution of Domtar global logistics program.
Key Skill Sets:
- Good communicator at all levels of organization, in both written and verbal formats.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize among a wide range of responsibilities.
- Self-sufficient, results driven and detail oriented customer service mindset.
- Analytical approach to solving problems; balancing risk and reward, using hard and soft skills
- Team player that has a desire to continually learn and build cross –functional relationships.
- Understanding of maritime global logistics terminology and operations.
- Process oriented ability to identify ways to streamline and make processes more efficient.
- Bachelor’s degree in supply chain, operations management or similar field preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in a supply chain focused role. Manufacturing environment with previous international transportation, logistics, marine/ocean with import/export experience preferred but not required.
- Working knowledge in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and PowerPoint); knowledge in Outlook, DPS, Autoprod, SAP and BW preferred.
Domtar is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, color, sex (including gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), marital status, religion, national origin, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.