City of Rock Hill
WASTEWATER PLANT OPERATOR III – UTILITIES – MANCHESTER (JOB NO. 12018)
|Position: WASTEWATER PLANT OPERATOR III – UTILITIES – MANCHESTER (JOB NO. 12018)|
|Salary: $22.51 – $32.64 Per Hour|
|Position Type: Full Time|
|Close Date: Until Filled|
|Minimum Training & Experience
An Associate’s Degree in engineering or the hard sciences such as engineering, chemistry, geology, biology, mathematics, or physics. Requires five years in wastewater treatment. A combination of licensure, training and experience may be considered in lieu of an Associate’s Degree.An “A” level certificate in biological wastewater treatment operator license preferred but not required. Successful candidate will be required to obtain an “A” level biological wastewater treatment license within one year.
|Desirable Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Knowledge of the methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in the operation, maintenance, inspection, repair, and installation of wastewater treatment plant components.• Knowledge of the mechanical, biological, and chemical processes involved in the operation of a wastewater treatment plant.• Knowledge of the occupational hazards in wastewater treatment plants and safety measures to be implemented.
• Ability to work with raw sewage and chemicals using normal protective equipment.
• Ability to plan and direct the work of subordinate employees.
• Ability to operate and maintain equipment used in wastewater treatment process.
• Ability to recognize equipment and process problems.
• Ability to recognize needed repairs.
• Ability to perform, analyze, and interpret laboratory tests for the purpose of making operational adjustments.
• Ability to deal effectively with people at all levels.
• Ability to read and interpret engineering specifications and drawings pertaining to plant expansions and improvements.
• Ability to work in a wide variety of weather conditions and exposure to the elements.
• Ability to lift and move heavy objects (100 lbs.) short distances (100 feet or less).
• Ability to support 50 lbs. overhead.
• Ability to work in small, cramped spaces and comply with confined space entry procedures.
• Provides for daily operation and maintenance of a 20 MGD activated sludge wastewater treatment plant (WWTP), including but not limited to: visual and physical inspection of entire WWTP and all associated appurtenances, collecting and analyzing samples throughout WWTP and interpreting results, make any necessary treatment adjustments based on inspections and sampling.• Ensures compliance with division’s policies and procedures, standards of quality and safety, and all applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations. Assists in ensuring all treatment at the plant is in accordance with all EPA and SCHEC regulations with no violations. Attends all required training and acquires CEUs to maintain Biological Wastewater Operator License.• Knows skills, procedures, codes, regulations, etc. needed to complete job tasks. Follows correct procedures and makes good decisions. . Makes adjustments to biological, chemical and/or physical processes to ensure plant is operating properly. Responds to emergency facility/field situations as required.
• Work is organized and well-planned; writing is legible; measurements and calculations are correct. Prepares and Review monthly operational reports.
• Participates in meetings with consultants, contractors, representatives from local and state regulatory agencies as required. This includes participation in regulatory inspections at the plant.
• Participates in the administration of the Stormwater Pollution Prevention Team as a team member.
• Performs all other duties as may be assigned to meet organizational needs.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.