City of Rock Hill
Transit Operations Supervisor
Position: Transit Operations Supervisor
Salary: $49,566 – $71,864 Per Year
Position Type: Full Time
Close Date: Until Filled
This is a frontline supervisory position. The purpose of this position is to supervise and implement the public transportation services to the City of Rock Hill citizens, students and visitors on fare-free electric transit buses throughout the City on designated routes. Para-transit transportation service will be provided to City residents and visitors in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act through an approval process. This position requires a thorough knowledge of public mass transit operations, DOT safety, ADA compliance, Title VI, Federal Transit Administration laws and regulations and supervisor experience.
Minimum Training & Experience
Graduation from high school or GED equivalent required. Associate’s Degree in business/management preferred with a minimum of three years of supervisory experience in public transit operations. Must possess extensive supervisory/management experience in the transit industry. The equivalent combination of education and related work experience may be considered.
Must possess and maintain a valid Class B CDL with Passenger and Airbrake Endorsements with a good driving record acceptable to City standards.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
Knowledge pertains to the abilities pertinent to the position of interest, which are crucial for the comprehension of tasks and completion of assignments.
- Must be knowledgeable regarding public mass transit systems and operations, CDL requirements, safe driving techniques and basic mechanical functions.
- Knowledge regarding FTA/DOT regulations and policies regarding Transit Operations, grants management, fund drawdown systems, compliance and reporting requirements.
- Considerable skill in orally communicating directions and instructions and performing mathematical computations.
- Considerable skill in the use of Word and Excel for entering and analyzing data. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite products Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Considerable ability to maintain accurate records; to work independently and in a group; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other City departments, managers, supervisors, employees, trainees, and the public.
- Knowledge of bus transit and para-transit operations for passenger safety, ADA compliance, and Transit Driver efficiencies.
- Skill in implementing effective safety enhancements and corrective actions associated with all transit programs.
- Ability to prepare detailed written reports, recommendations, and oral presentations regarding overall operational performance and deficiencies.
Essential Job Functions
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Ensures that all para-transit appointments and scheduled routes are performed accurately and timely. Makes spontaneous decisions regarding routes, assignments, or movements of trips.
- Notifies all appropriate personnel of all incidents and accidents; monitors and directs emergency situations; ensures that all incidents and accidents are fully documented
- Troubleshoots mechanical problems with all vehicular equipment; interfaces with maintenance for roadside assistance
- Maintains confidentiality of all information
- Direct personnel performing scheduling and dispatching activities
- Analyze scheduling and dispatching problems and develop solutions
- Investigate and prepare responses to customer complaints
- Oversees maintenance of all vehicles and equipment to ensure the safety of drivers and passengers and to ensure the continuity of operations at all times.
- Supervises and coordinates the activities of the dispatchers, bus operators, and all other transit personnel.
- Oversees the ADA Paratransit process, including intake, assessment, approval and denials.
- Performs regular field supervision to ensure employee compliance with Transit policies while assessing customer service standards.
- Ensures that Transit Drivers meet and comply with all federal, state, and local health and safety regulations.
- Ensures compliance with FTA laws and regulations.
- Operates a motor vehicle to monitor on-site transit operations and inspects routes, bus stops and facilities.
- Prepares correspondence, reports, memoranda and directives regarding division operation, performance, citizen complaints or special issues as needed and/or requested by department leadership.
- Prepares and updates maps, schedules and graphs to illustrate reports and plans.
- Receives, investigates, and resolves complaints from the public. Responsible for providing web page updates for information related to customer service and transportation.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships, peers, co-workers, supervisors and management.
- Performs all other duties as may be required to meet organizational needs.
This Notice is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties, knowledge, skills and abilities required to do the job. This is intended only to describe the general nature of the job. A more comprehensive list of duties, responsibilities and essential job functions is available on the job description. The City of Rock Hill is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, political affiliation, disability, national origin, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), or age.