City of Rock Hill
TRANSIT BUS OPERATOR – PUBLIC WORKS – (JOB NO. 311920)
|Minimum Training & Experience
Graduation from high school or GED and a minimum of one year of bus driving experience required. Previous driving experience as a bus operator with a transit system, or as an over the road coach operator is preferred. The equivalent combination of education and related work experience may be considered.
A Commercial Driver’s License (Class B with passenger and airbrake endorsements) is required.
|Desirable Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Knowledge of public transit operations.
• Knowledge of safe driving principles and an ability to detect hazards and to recommend corrective actions.
• Ability to work any shift assigned (including early mornings, days, nights, weekends, holidays).
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, including the ability to interpret technical information.
• Ability to use independent judgment when appropriate in routine and non-routine circumstances, and in critical situations.
• Ability to exercise discretion properly and responsibly notify the transit administrator when circumstances present the need.
• Ability to establish and maintain good relations with all the City departments, supervisors, co-workers and the public.
• Ability to work safely at all times, participate in safety training courses, notify management of any safety concerns, and ability to recognize and notify management about any customer service issues that pose a safety risk.
• Ability to maintain positive customer-focused relationships with co-workers, supervisors, agencies, the general public, and all other internal and external customers. Personally demonstrates appropriate customer service skills.
• Complete training and development classes as provided by the Director/Supervisor.
• Perform pre-trip and post-trip inspections of transport vehicles for mechanical and/or safety issues.
• Maintain a working knowledge of streets, routes, and bus stops within Rock Hill Transit coverage area.
• Adhere to tight time schedules under varying weather and traffic conditions and still operate the transport vehicles in a safe and courteous manner.
• Interact with the general public and all Rock Hill Transit passengers in a professional and courteous manner, regardless of the actions of the passengers.
• Assist in the boarding and alighting passengers with disabilities including the use of four point securing of wheel chairs and scooters and affixing of shoulder and lap belts.
• Maintain knowledge of and strict adherence to all Rock Hill Transit operating rules, policies, and regulations.
• Announcing designated stops in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Rock Hill Transit procedures.
• Accurate and legible completion of accident and incident reports, as required.
• Clearly conduct radio communications with other Rock Hill Transit vehicles and dispatch.
• Monitor and collect fares and passes, count passengers and record the numbers.
• Be a professional representative of Rock Hill Transit and its management.
• Must be flexible and dependable.
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships with others.
• Some outside working hours may be required for special events or training.
• Performs all other duties as may be required to meet organizational needs.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.