City of Rock Hill
Position: Tire Technician
Salary: $14.50 Per Hour
Position Type: Full Time
Close Date: Until Filled
Minimum Training & Experience
Requires High School graduation or GED equivalent with one year in vehicle maintenance and repair or closely related experience. The equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Must have one ASE Certification along with Tire Industry Association Certification (TIA) or the ability to obtain within six months of hire.
A valid driver’s license is required.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of the standard practices, methods, tools, and materials of the mechanical trades.
- Knowledge of the less complex mechanical parts and servicing requirements of automotive and other equipment.
- Knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Ability to perform manual tasks involving physical strength and endurance under variable weather conditions; ability to lift 50 lbs. for extended periods.
- Ability to deal with people beyond giving and receiving instructions. Must be adaptable to performing under stress when confronted with emergency situations or tight deadlines.
- Ability to maintain positive customer-focused relationships with co-workers, supervisors, agencies, the general public, and all other internal and external customers. Personally demonstrates appropriate customer service skills.
- Work is performed onsite. The incumbent must be present at work to perform the essential functions of this job.
Essential Job Functions
- Performs vehicle inspections based on automotive standards and makes repairs as necessary.
- Replaces, mounts, and balances tires; raises vehicles, using hydraulic jacks; mounts wheels onto vehicles; unbolts and removes wheels from vehicles, using lug wrenches or other hand or power tools.
- Makes tire repairs according to manufacturer’s specifications.
- Maintains clean work area.
- Updates information and work orders on the computer.
- Identifies tire size, ply, load range and inflates tires according to manufacturer’s specifications.
- Keep warehouse yard organized and clean; clean garage area, along with the fuel island.
- Perform weekly inspection of garage/warehouse vehicles.
- Responsible for the maintenance of air compressors.
- Pick up and deliver parts as needed.
- Keep fuel island in repair and clean.
- Performs small vehicle and equipment repairs as requested by supervisor.
- Performs all other duties as may be assigned to meet organizational needs.
This Notice is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties, knowledge, skills and abilities required to do the job. This is intended only to describe the general nature of the job. A more comprehensive list of duties, responsibilities and essential job functions is available on the job description. The City of Rock Hill is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, political affiliation, disability, national origin, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), or age.