City of Rock Hill
TELECOMMUNICATIONS OPERATOR I – POLICE – (JOB NO. 341920)
|Minimum Training & Experience
High school graduate or GED equivalent with experience operating emergency telecommunications equipment, radio transmitting equipment, or telephone switchboard. Ability to obtain Telecommunications Certification in a specified period of time. The equivalent combination of education, training and related work experience may be considered.
|Desirable Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Knowledge of operating procedures for dispatching emergency and safety services.• Knowledge of the names and locations of the streets and principle buildings in the city.
• Knowledge of fire, police, rescue, and other appropriate organizations’ operations.
• Ability to operate computer equipment.
• Ability to react quickly, calmly, and effectively under emergency conditions.
• Ability to speak clearly and concisely with a well-modulated voice.
• Ability to write legibly, maintain logs, records, and perform routine clerical work.
• Ability to maintain positive customer-focused relationships with co-workers, supervisors, agencies, the general public, and all other internal and external customers. Personally demonstrates appropriate customer service skills.
• This position requires specialized work with telecommunications equipment to receive and transmit information. Work requires fast, effective processing of information and the performance of related clerical duties.• Receives calls from the general public requesting emergency or safety services.
• Dispatches appropriate public safety units and assists in obtaining additional information and locating streets and addresses.
• Coordinates activities between various public safety agencies. Receives radio/telephone calls from field units, transmits messages via radio, telephone, or computer and makes inquiries to obtain information or service of other agencies.
• Maintains radio contact with public safety units that are on call. Keeps continuous record of status of units in and out of service and on cases.
• Performs all other duties as may be assigned to meet organizational needs.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.