City of Rock Hill
Refuse Truck Operator I
Position: REFUSE TRUCK OPERATOR I – PUBLIC WORKS (JOB NO. 641920)
Salary: $15.24 PER HOUR
Position Type: Full Time
Close Date: Until Filled
Minimum Training & Experience
Graduation from high school or GED equivalent and some experience in the operation of medium-size trucks. The equivalent combination of education and related work experience may be considered.
A valid Commercial Driver’s License is required.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Knowledge of traffic laws, ordinances, and regulations governing equipment operation.
• Knowledge of the principles of operation of large trucks.
• Ability to read and understand maps.
• Ability to maintain positive customer-focused relationships with co-workers, supervisors, agencies, the general public, and all other internal and external customers. Personally demonstrates appropriate customer service skills.
Essential Job Functions
• Operates automated refuse equipment, empties refuse containers, and directs the work of an assigned crew; or
• Operates loadpacker or open-body truck in the collection of garbage and rubbish usually on established routes, or operates recycling truck sorts, loads, and unloads recyclables according to established procedures and routes.
• Assures that truck is equipped, cleaned, and serviced; performs minor maintenance and reports repair needs to supervisor or to the garage.
• Reports violations of refuse collection regulations to supervisor; assists in assigning personnel, investigating complaints, training, and spot checking crews.
• Performs medium to heavy work that involves walking, standing, stooping, lifting, digging, pushing and raising objects and also involves exerting between 20 to 50 pounds of force on a regular and recurring basis and 50 to 100 pounds of force on an occasional basis.
• Performs all other duties as may be assigned to meet organizational needs.
This Notice is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties, knowledge, skills and abilities required to do the job. This is intended only to describe the general nature of the job. A more comprehensive list of duties, responsibilities and essential job functions is available on the job description.