City of Rock Hill
RECREATION COORDINATOR I (OUTDOOR SPORTS PROGRAMMER) – PARKS, RECREATION, & TOURISM (JOB NO. 371920)
|Minimum Training & Experience
Graduation from a four-year college or university with major course work in recreation, physical education, tourism, or related field, and two years of experience in directing organized recreational activities. The equivalent combination of education, training and related work experience may be considered.Evening and weekend work required.
|Desirable Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Thorough knowledge of the basic psychology, techniques, and methodology of organizing groups in a recreation setting.
• Thorough knowledge of various special recreation programs; an ability to lead participants in a variety of activities.
• Considerable knowledge of first-aid methods and necessary safety precautions required in recreation activities.
• Knowledge of the philosophy and objectives of public recreation and the principles and practices of recreation and/or tourism administration.
• Ability to utilize volunteers effectively.
• Ability to train and supervise staff and volunteers.
• Ability to assist with special events and other recreation programs as needed (football, softball, and baseball specifically).
• Ability to maintain positive customer-focused relationships with co-workers, supervisors, agencies, the general public, and all other internal and external customers. Personally demonstrates appropriate customer service skills.
• Oversees the day-to-day operations of the City of Rock Hill’s sports program.
• Manages volunteers as it relates to coaching of sports teams.
• Manages officials and seasonal staff as it relates to sports programs.
• Recruit and maintain sponsorships and assign to teams as needed.
• Develops program surveys to coordinate improvements to the leagues.
• Provides staff support to various committees, commissions, and other groups as needed.
• Provides orientation, training, and supervision of staff members, particularly seasonal, part-time, and volunteer workers. Conducts supervisory staff meetings and conferences, subject to general direction and coordination of the division supervisor.
• Provides technical assistance to the division supervisor who is responsible for the conduct of citywide recreation and tourism programs.
• Responsible for surveys and other means of determining economic impact. Prepares reports pertaining to assigned area; prepares requests for personnel, materials and supplies; participates in preparation of department budget.
• Drafts activity schedule for assigned area of work.
• Assist with admissions collections and proper reporting.
• Participates in cross-training opportunities.
• Performs all other duties as may be required to meet organizational needs.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.