City of Rock Hill
Permit Technician II
Position: Permit Technician II
Starting Salary: $17.64 – $21.17 Per Hour/DOQ
Position Type: Full Time
Close Date: Until Filled
The purpose of this class within the organization is to research, compile and verify building permit and contractor license information in order to process and issue building permits according to city and state ordinances and laws.
This class works under general supervision, independently developing work methods and sequences.
Minimum Training & Experience:
Requires an Associate’s Degree in Business Administration supplemented by three years of progressively responsible administrative or customer service experience.
Requires one year working in permits, zoning, or closely related experience. A minimum of three years of construction or real estate experience, preferred.
Ability to secure Permit Technician certification from International Code Conference (ICC) within two years of employment.
The equivalent combination of education and related work experience may be considered.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Skilled in MicroSoft Office Suite to include, Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint.
- Ability to secure Permit Technician certification from International Code Conference (ICC) within two years of employment.
- Ability to read and comprehend legal documents, policies, codes, and other technical documents.
- Ability to perform basic arithmetic, calculate decimals and percentages.
- Ability to interpret graphs and other forms of data.
- Ability to meet the requirements of this position according to the City’s Clerical Testing Standards.
- Ability to review and analyze data and information to confirm compliance with policies and standards.
- Ability to provide guidance, assistance, and/or interpretation to others on how to apply procedures, standards, and policies to specific situations.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment to adapt methods or procedures while still meeting overall requirements and objectives.
- Ability to express ideas clearly, orally and in writing.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and remain focused in an open office environment with periodic interruptions.
- Ability to deal with people beyond giving and receiving instructions. Must be adaptable to performing under stress when confronted with emergency situations or tight deadlines.
- Ability to maintain positive customer-focused relationships with co-workers, supervisors, agencies, the general public, and all other internal and external customers. Personally demonstrates appropriate customer service skills.
- Work is performed onsite. The incumbent must be present at work to perform the essential functions of this job.
Essential Job Functions:
- Supports the City’s Building Inspectors with office procedures, forms, logs, tasks and required initiatives.
- Responsible for coordinating and overseeing various assignments and tasks, such as the account payment queue, permit and plan review queue, Cayenta alerts, daily inspection line, end of day inspection logs, work orders, Over-the-Counter (OTC) permits, outgoing plan review permits, etc.
- Schedules, reviews and follows-up on expired permits, extensions and “Not Approved” inspections, Certificate of Occupancies (CO’s), as requested.
- Ensures proper and timely communication to Planning & Development team members, contractors and customers.
- Issues permits, checks addresses and contractor licenses, calculates fees and accepts payments, and submits plans for review if necessary.
- Greets, directs, and assists walk-in customers; answer calls, provides information, or redirects customers to appropriate departments.
- Assists contractors with permit and active project related issues.
- Creates work orders for utility service requests such as installing taps/meters, moving or repairing meter boxes, installing service for construction power, releases for permanent power, fire hydrant flow tests, and underground electric.
- Schedules and coordinates courtesy, building, zoning, fire, and other inspections; checks inspection lines to schedule inspections and water/saw service request line to create work orders.
- Maintains and balances daily deposits of payments.
- Oversees the daily inspection line, end of day inspection logs and Cayenta Alerts.
- Contacts contractors to collect any re-inspection fees due or outstanding monies.
- Schedules open and old permits for inspection, and closes, voids, or expires outstanding permits.
- Attends training classes for zoning codes, building codes, computer software as needed to learn new systems and maintain continuing education.
- Performs all other duties as required to meet organizational needs.
This Notice is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties, knowledge, skills and abilities required to do the job. This is intended only to describe the general nature of the job. A more comprehensive list of duties, responsibilities and essential job functions is available on the job description. The City of Rock Hill is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, political affiliation, disability, national origin, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), or age.