City of Rock Hill
Maintenance Technician III
Position: Maintenance Technician III
Salary: $18.52 – $26.85 Per Hour, DOQ
Position Type: Full Time
Close Date: Until Filled
Minimum Training & Experience
Requires High School graduation or GED equivalent supplemented by specialized courses/training equivalent to completion of one year of college in technical/vocational school or related field.
Requires two years in electrical and mechanical equipment maintenance or closely related experience in an Industrial environment. Five years’ experience preferred. The equivalent combination of education and work experience may be considered.
A valid driver’s license is required.
Water or Wastewater Treatment Operator’s license is preferred or the ability to obtain a license within a certain timeframe.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- General knowledge of machinery, construction, and welding.
- Knowledge of skills, procedures, codes and regulations related to plant maintenance.
- Skilled at calculating measurements correctly.
- Ability to maintain high standards of accuracy in executing duties and responsibilities.
- Ability to exercise immediate remedial action to correct any quality deficiencies that occur in the area of responsibility.
- Ability to organize and plan work.
- Ability to write legibly for others to decipher.
- Ability to deal with people beyond giving and receiving instructions. Must be adaptable to performing under stress when confronted with emergency situations or tight deadlines.
- Ability to maintain positive customer-focused relationships with co-workers, supervisors, agencies, the general public, and all other internal and external customers. Personally, demonstrates appropriate customer service skills.
- Work is performed onsite. The incumbent must be present at work to perform the essential functions of this job.
Essential Job Functions
- Performs maintenance on equipment at the Water and Wastewater Treatment Plants and Lift Stations.
- Assesses equipment to detect operating flaws and locates and adjusts defects in electrical and mechanical equipment and systems.
- Maintains equipment to eliminate lost time and optimize plant performance.
- Operates hand and machine power tools in repairing and maintaining pumps, motors, valves, plant machinery and equipment; keeps records of spare parts.
- Operates maintenance equipment, trenchers, bucket trucks / aerial lifts, boom trucks, concrete saws, forklifts, excavators, threaders, benders, power tools, electric multi-meters, calipers, micrometers, vibration meters, shaft alignment tools, welders and torches.
- Ensures compliance with division’s policies and procedures, standards of quality and safety, and all applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- Installs and maintains the components of the City’s Water and Wastewater system, including but not limited to components of the Water and Wastewater Plants, Lift Stations, Raw Water Pump Stations, Elevated Storage tanks and meter pits.
- Installs and maintains mechanical components and systems associated with the City’s treatment plants, such as submersible pumps, vertical turbine pumps, centrifugal pumps, positive displacement pumps, chemical dosing pumps, motors, grinders, bar screens, conveyors, silos, valves and piping.
- Repairs, lubricates, paints, and performs all necessary maintenance functions on pumps and equipment associated with the Water and Wastewater Treatment Plants, and Lift Stations.
- Fabricates metal parts and repairs metal parts. Solders, rivets, seams, and bolts metal parts as required. Welds light to heavy metals using various types of welding materials and methods.
- Makes miscellaneous repairs and adjustments to plumbing and fixtures; minor electrical wiring of lights and receptacles.
- Maintains required supplies on utility truck; cleans and makes minor repairs on equipment and tools; prepares job reports and time sheets.
- Utilizes the Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS), City-issued laptop computer and software.
- Orders materials as needed for jobs and maintenance supply.
- Performs all other duties as may be assigned to meet organizational needs.
This Notice is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties, knowledge, skills and abilities required to do the job. This is intended only to describe the general nature of the job. A more comprehensive list of duties, responsibilities and essential job functions is available on the job description. The City of Rock Hill is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, political affiliation, disability, national origin, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), or age.