City of Rock Hill
Maintenance Mechanic I
Position: Maintenance Mechanic I – Parks, Recreation, & Tourism
Salary: $14.51 – $17.78 (DOQ)
Position Type: Full Time
Close Date: Until Filled
Minimum Training & Experience
Graduation from high school or GED equivalent and two years of experience in maintenance or closely related experience. The equivalent combination of education, training and related work experience may be considered.
A valid Driver’s License is required.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of plumbing, light carpentry, electrical maintenance and irrigation system operation and repair.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of common hand tools, materials, and standard equipment used in general maintenance, construction, and repair.
- Knowledge of the precautions necessary to work safely with and around mechanized equipment.
- Willingness and ability to perform manual tasks involving physical strength and endurance under variable weather conditions.
- Ability to estimate materials and job costs.
- Ability to understand and carry out specific oral instructions.
- Ability to deal with people beyond giving and receiving instructions. Must be adaptable to performing under stress when confronted with emergency situations or tight deadlines.
- Ability to maintain positive customer-focused relationships with co-workers, supervisors, agencies, the general public, and all other internal and external customers. Personally demonstrates appropriate customer service skills.
- Work is performed onsite. The incumbent must be present at work to perform the essential functions of this job.
Essential Job Functions
- Repairs and maintains City property for the PRT department and ensures the timely completion of all work orders including but not limited to the following: repairs toilets, sinks, faucets, showers, irrigation systems, and cleans drains; maintains drinking fountains; cleans, repairs, and paints wall, door, trim and ceiling surfaces.
- Supervises various employees in the setup, operations of and break down of multiple tournament, cycling and special events.
- Operates a vehicle, service truck, bucket truck scissor lift, backhoe, small utility vehicle, chain saw, cutoff saw, drill, torches, welders, computer, etc.
- Cleans and maintains pressure washer equipment, hoses, spray wands and washes down equipment; changes light bulbs, light fixtures, ballasts, receptacles, light switches; pulls wires and conduit.
- Supervises subordinate crew workers and seasonal personnel; duties include scheduling, instructing, assigning tasks, reviewing and planning work, ensuring standards are maintained, and coordinating activities.
- Assists in planning, coordinating and leading various projects; inspects work in progress to ensure adherence to policies, procedures, quality and safety standards, ensures the timely completion of all work orders.
- Maintains city regulatory signs; sets up signage for city events, emergency repairs, replaces old signage; fabricates signs, racks, barricades, etc.
- Completes paperwork as required.
- Performs all other duties as may be assigned to meet organizational needs.
This Notice is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties, knowledge, skills and abilities required to do the job. This is intended only to describe the general nature of the job. A more comprehensive list of duties, responsibilities and essential job functions is available on the job description. The City of Rock Hill is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, political affiliation, disability, national origin, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), or age.