City of Rock Hill
POSITION: HORTICULTURIST I – PARKS, RECREATION, & TOURISM – MANCHESTER MEADOWS LOCATION
SALARY: STARTING AT $16.80 PER HOUR
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Requires High School graduation or GED equivalent.
Requires one year horticultural and athletic field maintenance including landscape design and sports turf management or closely related experience. South Carolina Pesticide Applicator’s license or the ability to obtain one within one year of hire.
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of ornamental horticulture, basic landscape design, plant nomenclature, pesticide/herbicide applications and handling, basic grounds maintenance, basic mechanical maintenance and repair.
- Knowledge of the methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in landscaping and grounds maintenance work.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Knowledge of proper English usage, punctuation, spelling, and grammar.
- Knowledge of modern office practices and technology.
- Ability to deal with people beyond giving and receiving instructions. Must be adaptable to performing under stress when confronted with emergency situations or tight deadlines.
- Ability to operate heavy equipment with skill and safety.
- Ability to effectively supervise the work of assigned crew members.
- Ability to take the initiative to complete the duties of the position without the need of direct supervision.
- Ability to maintain positive customer-focused relationships with co-workers, supervisors, agencies, the general public, and all other internal and external customers. Personally demonstrates appropriate customer service skills.
- Work is performed onsite. The incumbent must be present at work to perform the essential functions of this job.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Supervises subordinate crew workers and / or seasonal personnel – duties include scheduling, instructing, assigning, reviewing, and planning work of others: maintaining standards, quality, and safety.
- Inspects work in progress to ensure adherence to policies, procedures, standards, quality, and safety.
- Ensures the proper and timely maintenance of division equipment; performs minor mechanical repairs as required.
- Supervises and participates in various horticultural activities; including but not limited to, installing landscape plants and other materials, maintaining turf, overseeding turf, evaluating plants for appropriateness and health, evaluating soil condition, applying pesticides and herbicides, pruning and shearing shrubbery and trees, applying fertilizers, etc.
- Oversees and participates in the layout, painting, preparation and maintenance of athletic fields.
- Participates in the operation, maintenance, and repairs of irrigation systems.
- Operates a vehicle, truck, backhoe, mowers, string trimmer, blower, hedge shears, motorized sprayer, chain saw, two-way radio, and telephone.
- Interacts and communicates with various groups and individuals such as the immediate supervisor, other City employees, subordinates, suppliers/vendors, outside service providers, and the general public.
- Performs routine grounds-keeping work as required, including but not limited to picking up trash and debris, cutting grass, edging sidewalks and driveways, removing weeds and leaves, blowing walks and curbs, applying mulch, etc.
- Assists in planning, coordinating and supervising various projects; inspects work in progress to ensure adherence to policies, procedures, quality and safety standards, ensures the timely completion of all work orders.
- Operates vehicles, backhoe, mowers, tractors with implements, tiller, spreader, vera-vac, string trimmer, blower, hedge shears, edger, motorized sprayer and chain saw; transports personnel/materials, etc.
- Provides tournament, special event and meeting services to include staffing, set up and breakdown, coordinating with event directors and facility renters.
This Notice is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties, knowledge, skills and abilities required to do the job. This is intended only to describe the general nature of the job. A more comprehensive list of duties, responsibilities and essential job functions is available on the job description.