City of Rock Hill
Environmental Laboratory Technician I
Position: Environmental Laboratory Technician I
Position Type: Full Time
Close Date: Until Filled
Minimum Training & Experience
Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in the hard sciences such as chemistry, biology, mathematics, or related field with at least one year of work in an environmental laboratory or closely related experience. An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience will be considered.
A valid driver’s license is required.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of basic laboratory skills.
- Knowledge of water and wastewater treatment plant operations.
- Knowledge of computer systems and software.
- Ability to follow directions and perform functions and analysis from written, technical directions.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to interpret environmental regulations.
- Ability to respond to emergency situations 24 hours per day.
- Ability to deal with people beyond giving and receiving instructions. Must be adaptable to performing under stress when confronted with emergency situations or tight deadlines.
- Ability to maintain positive customer-focused relationships with co-workers, supervisors, agencies, the general public, and all other internal and external customers. Personally demonstrates appropriate customer service skills.
- Work is performed onsite. The incumbent must be present at work to perform the essential functions of this job.
Essential Job Functions
- Collects environmental samples and performs basic laboratory analyses required for the NPDES permit, stormwater permit, Industrial Pretreatment Program, and wastewater treatment plant process control.
- Collects samples at off-site locations when needed.
- Cleans, maintains and services, vehicles, automated samplers, field meters and equipment, including required documentation and records.
- Inventories and distributes laboratory supplies and chemicals.
- Cleans and stocks glassware, pipets, and other reusable items.
- Prepares chain of custody, sample ID labels and other records for sample collection.
- Prepares and stocks sample containers, labels and other sampling materials.
- Performs all other duties as may be assigned to meet organizational needs.
This Notice is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties, knowledge, skills and abilities required to do the job. This is intended only to describe the general nature of the job. A more comprehensive list of duties, responsibilities and essential job functions is available on the job description. The City of Rock Hill is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, political affiliation, disability, national origin, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), or age.