City of Rock Hill
CITY SURVEYOR – GENERAL SERVICES
|Minimum Training & Experience
A Bachelor’s degree in surveying or civil engineering supplemented by at least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in land surveying. Supervisory/lead work experience preferred. The equivalent combination of education and related work experience may be considered.A valid driver’s license is required. Must possess a South Carolina Professional Land Surveyor license or obtain one through reciprocity within 6 months of hire.
|Desirable Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Thorough knowledge of survey principles, practices, and preparatory procedures used in control, route, construction, property, and topography survey.
• Thorough knowledge of trigonometry and analytical geometry and their application to surveying.
• Knowledge of proper use and adjustment of surveying instruments and equipment.
• Knowledge of the sources and methods of obtaining data from survey records.
• Knowledge of geodetic surveying and photogrammetry.
• Knowledge of the nomenclature, symbols, methods, practices, techniques, and instruments used in plotting and mapping surveys.
• Knowledge of computer applications of survey work.
• Knowledge of proper right-of-way acquisition procedures.
• Knowledge of municipal budget preparation and process.
• Knowledge of supervisory principles and practices.
• Skill in drafting to prepare neat and accurate notes, drawings, sketches, field maps and documents.
• Ability to read and interpret complex maps and property descriptions to establish and maintain records and files of survey data.
• Ability to operate computers and survey instruments and to instruct others in their proper use and care.
• Ability to instruct others in proper survey methods and procedures.
• Ability to search survey records, compile, and analyze survey data.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers and the public.
• Ability to maintain positive customer-focused relationships with co-workers, supervisors, agencies, the general public, and all other internal and external customers. Personally demonstrates appropriate customer service skills.
• Manages the City’s vision in land surveying, mapping, and utility locating, and assisting in right-of-way acquisition.
• Provides for the overall effectiveness, efficiency, and accuracy of the City’s survey field work and mapping.
• Researches various survey related issues, including ownership, legal descriptions, quantity and shape of City-owned properties, rights-of-ways, and private ownerships.
• Checks and/or writes legal descriptions for the City.
• Reviews all platting of all City Capital Improvement Projects (CIPs) for compliance with state and local codes and standards.
• Determines the City’s horizontal and vertical control networks on CIPs.
• Performs mathematical checks and coordinates survey requirements for CIPs.
• Develops and manages the surveying, mapping, utility locating and assisting of right-of-way acquisition in conjunction with CIPs.
• Works within defined project scopes, manages deadlines and prioritizes assignments.
• Performs project management and quality control for all surveys.
• Prepares, stamps, and signs various types of surveys.
• Prepares and records surveys with appropriate York County authorities.
• Prepares and files monument records in accordance with state statute.
• Coordinates and performs field surveys including boundaries and ALTAs.
• Coordinates and performs field data collection and layout for design, construction and as-builts of city CIPs.
• Determines and stakes right of way or easement lines on the ground.
• Makes recommendations regarding project costs and time frames.
• Reviews and processes the results of field surveys, including the shape, contours, location, elevations and dimensions of land features and structures.
• Performs establishing, investigating, and reestablishing land and property boundaries, and preparing plats and legal descriptions for tracts of land.
• Performs additional duties as assigned.