City of Rock Hill
CITY SURVEYOR – GENERAL SERVICES – (JOB NO. 6418)
|Position: CITY SURVEYOR – GENERAL SERVICES – (JOB NO. 6418)|
|Salary: $27.88-$40.34 Per Hour|
|Position Type: Full Time|
|Close Date: Until Filled|
|Minimum Training & Experience
A Bachelor’s degree in surveying or civil engineering supplemented by at least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in land surveying. Supervisory/lead work experience preferred. The equivalent combination of education and related work experience may be considered.A valid driver’s license is required. Must possess a South Carolina Professional Land Surveyor license or obtain one through reciprocity within 6 months of hire.
|Desirable Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Thorough knowledge of survey principles, practices, and preparatory procedures used in control, route, construction, property, and topography survey.
• Thorough knowledge of trigonometry and analytical geometry and their application to surveying.
• Knowledge of proper use and adjustment of surveying instruments and equipment.
• Knowledge of the sources and methods of obtaining data from survey records.
• Knowledge of geodetic surveying and photogrammetry.
• Knowledge of the nomenclature, symbols, methods, practices, techniques, and instruments used in plotting and mapping surveys.
• Knowledge of computer applications of survey work.
• Knowledge of proper right-of-way acquisition procedures.
• Knowledge of municipal budget preparation and process.
• Knowledge of supervisory principles and practices.
• Skill in drafting to prepare neat and accurate notes, drawings, sketches, field maps and documents.
• Ability to read and interpret complex maps and property descriptions to establish and maintain records and files of survey data.
• Ability to operate computers and survey instruments and to instruct others in their proper use and care.
• Ability to instruct others in proper survey methods and procedures.
• Ability to search survey records, compile, and analyze survey data.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers and the public.
• Ability to maintain positive customer-focused relationships with co-workers, supervisors, agencies, the general public, and all other internal and external customers. Personally demonstrates appropriate customer service skills.
• Manages the City’s vision in land surveying, mapping, and utility locating, and assisting in right-of-way acquisition.
• Provides for the overall effectiveness, efficiency, and accuracy of the City’s survey field work and mapping.
• Researches various survey related issues, including ownership, legal descriptions, quantity and shape of City-owned properties, rights-of-ways, and private ownerships.
• Checks and/or writes legal descriptions for the City.
• Reviews all platting of all City Capital Improvement Projects (CIPs) for compliance with state and local codes and standards.
• Determines the City’s horizontal and vertical control networks on CIPs.
• Performs mathematical checks and coordinates survey requirements for CIPs.
• Develops and manages the surveying, mapping, utility locating and assisting of right-of-way acquisition in conjunction with CIPs.
• Works within defined project scopes, manages deadlines and prioritizes assignments.
• Performs project management and quality control for all surveys.
• Prepares, stamps, and signs various types of surveys.
• Prepares and records surveys with appropriate York County authorities.
• Prepares and files monument records in accordance with state statute.
• Coordinates and performs field surveys including boundaries and ALTAs.
• Coordinates and performs field data collection and layout for design, construction and as-builts of city CIPs.
• Determines and stakes right of way or easement lines on the ground.
• Makes recommendations regarding project costs and time frames.
• Reviews and processes the results of field surveys, including the shape, contours, location, elevations and dimensions of land features and structures.
• Performs establishing, investigating, and reestablishing land and property boundaries, and preparing plats and legal descriptions for tracts of land.
• Performs additional duties as assigned.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.