City of Rock Hill
BUILDING PLANS EXAMINER – PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT – BUILDING INSPECTIONS DIVISION (JOB NO. 141920)
|Minimum Training & Experience
Associate’s Degree required (Bachelor’s Degree preferred) in engineering, architecture, or other relevant field, supplemented by four years’ experience in building inspection, code enforcement, plan review, and permitting or building code administration. ICC certification as a commercial building, electrical, plumbing and mechanical plans examiner or the ability to obtain the certifications within two years is required. Computer skills are required. The equivalent combination of education and related work experience may be considered.A valid driver’s license is required.
|Desirable Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Thorough knowledge of all building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, gas and other codes relating to all types of construction.
• Knowledge of zoning regulations and other municipal codes and policies affecting development and construction.
• Ability to analyze and interpret construction plans and specifications.
• Ability to conduct effective inspections in determining compliance with building and zoning regulations.
• Ability to express ideas clearly, orally and in writing.
• Ability to identify the need for assistance and collaborate with other technical staff in a team oriented environment.
• Ability to learn and utilize multiple software programs for plan tracking, permit issuance, creating utility service accounts and issuing business licenses.
• Ability to maintain positive customer-focused relationships with co-workers, supervisors, agencies, the general public, and all other internal and external customers. Personally demonstrates appropriate customer service skills.
• Reviews residential and commercial building plans for code compliance; ensures adherence to all applicable local, state, and/or federal building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical and gas codes, the national electric code, energy codes, fire prevention codes, flood plain ordinance, and ANSI accessible and usable codes.
• Prepares and enters plan review comments and inputs into Plan Tracking System.
• Answers basic zoning inquiries regarding development standards, permitted uses, and use-specific requirements.
• Reviews and approves sign permits, surveys and plats, and all commercial construction plans.
• Reviews and approves zoning compliance permits for certain new businesses.
• Researches and prepares zoning verification letters.
• Confers with zoning, fire, utilities, infrastructure, and other staff to ensure projects under review are in compliance with ordinances and policies.
• Refers to policy and procedure manuals, codes/laws/regulations, publications, and reference texts, etc.
• Performs all other duties as may be assigned to meet organizational needs.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.