City of Rock Hill
ADMINISTRATIVE SECRETARY – POLICE (JOB NO. 291920)
|Minimum Training & Experience
A high school diploma or GED equivalent supplemented by three to five years of responsible secretarial or clerical work experience. The equivalent combination of education and related work experience may be considered.
|Desirable Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Considerable knowledge of secretarial and administrative practices and procedures.• Proficient knowledge in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Word and Excel.
• Knowledge of business English, spelling, arithmetic, and vocabulary.
• Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment.
• Ability to comprehend, interpret and apply regulations, procedures and related information.
• Ability to apply responsible attention to detail as necessary in preparing reports and correspondence.
• Ability to prepare effective correspondence on routine matters and to perform routine office management details without referral to supervisor.
• Ability to exercise judgment regarding confidential information.
• Ability to maintain office records and to prepare accurate and timely reports.
• Ability to accurately type 60 wpm and meet appropriate clerical testing standards.
• Ability to plan, organize and prioritize daily assignments and work activities.
• Ability to maintain positive customer-focused relationships with co-workers, supervisors, agencies, the general public and all other internal/external customers. Personally demonstrates appropriate customer service skills.
• Performs general secretarial duties including but not limited to compiling and typing data for reports, composing/preparing correspondence for supervisor’s signature, establishing and maintaining files, scheduling appointments, maintaining calendars, etc.• Interacts and communicates with various individuals and agencies such as the immediate supervisor, co-workers, other department supervisors and employees, other City personnel, and the general public.
• Exercises initiative, independent judgment, and discretion in handling confidential administrative details, and in the performance of various office duties.
• Maintains records on division activities, creates and maintains filing systems, including archival responsibilities.
• Performs all other duties as may be assigned to meet organizational needs.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.