Plastics Product Design Engineer
**This position is based in Ft. Mill. No remote work or relocation assistance available***
Provide engineering and project support to existing products that are currently in production. These activities include technical problem solving, design; process improvements, testing & analysis to ensure performance objectives are met.
Key Task and Responsibilities
- Engineering assignments regularly involve working independently and/or leading major projects with considerable latitude for un-reviewed action or decision-making. The work requires originality, ingenuity, or specialized technical knowledge in solving very complex or broad problems using the application of standard or advanced engineering principles.
- Leads problem solving, root cause analysis and other continuous improvement initiatives both internally and at the supplier.
- Develop and implement specifications and procedures to assure compliance with current company and governmental standards, specifications and regulations.
- Update and conceptualize engineering solutions using Creo (ProEngineer) CAD software.
- Experience designing & modifying plastic parts for injection molding. Knowledge of plastic processing and tooling.
- Lead presentations of engineering concepts for design reviews.
- Work closely with suppliers to achieve designs that optimize tooling and manufacturing processes and reliability.
- Lead initiatives to resolve product warranty, production, process, and supplier issues.
- Establish and maintain open channels of communication with internal partners.
- Provide technical expertise as a member of product business teams.
- Investigate, recommend, and implement cost saving solutions using value analysis techniques. Understand the cost drivers of direct material, direct labor, overhead, and capital.
- Provide engineering support for approval of PPAP’s (Production Part Approval Process).
- Assist in evaluating potential suppliers and tool vendors in conjunction with Purchasing and Quality Engineering.
- Provide project activity direction to assigned support personnel.
- May review work of assigned team members and provide input on performance.
- Prepare and manage schedules, budgets, and manpower requirements for assigned projects.
- Follow/create required work instructions and influence corporate policies and procedures.
- May plan, assign, and mentor personnel for given projects or tasks.
- Travel as required up to approximately 25%.
Skills and Attributes
- High-energy individual with a passion for excellence and process improvement that demonstrates a consistent & ‘can-do’ attitude.
- A thorough understanding of manufacturing principles, practices and successful application in a manufacturing operation.
- Understand the corporation’s values, goals, and objectives along with key financial drivers including EVA (Economic Value Added).
- Ability to work in a team setting by supporting the overall goals, actively participating, and valuing the unique skills and contributions of other team members.
- Remains open to new ideas and makes use of emerging technologies that enable engineers to work and communicate in new ways.
- Able to work on multiple projects concurrently.
- Maintains a positive attitude in addressing concerns.
- A self-starter who commits to and owns responsibility for timely completion of assigned projects or deliverables.
- Well organized: ability to schedule and track multiple projects.
- A good listener with strong writing and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to explain technical matters to non-technical oriented people.
- Respectful, tactful, truthful, and professional in all working relationships while representing Britax and its interests.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering.
- 8-10 years’ experience in continuous improvement of existing products in a manufacturing environment.
- Creo (ProEngineer) CAD Software.