Chemical Process Engineer
JOB SUMMARY CHEMICAL ENGINEER:
This position is in support of rapidly growing 3D printing materials manufacturing. The Chemical Engineer will define and design new processes, and enhance efficiency and quality of current processes.
The Chemical Engineer is responsible for maintaining the efficiency and effectiveness of all production related manufacturing equipment & processes required to manufacture a high quality product in a repeatable and cost effective manner. As such the Chemical Engineer should have a background and experience in batch manufacturing of liquid or powder materials. Experience required in the design and mechanics of conveyors, pneumatics, pumps, gears, mixers, valves, etc. in support of automation installations. Some experience with PLC controllers a plus.
The Chemical Engineer must be a leader, strategic thinker and a hands-on problem solver. He/she must combine a detailed technical knowledge and operations management skills in a Lean manufacturing environment. He/she should be well organized, disciplined and self-motivated, with the capability to balance multiple priorities related to operations and organization. He/she must be able to communicate with internal company personnel, as well as customers, with equal effectiveness and professionalism.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Experience required in the design and mechanics of conveyors, pneumatics, pumps, gears, mixers, valves, etc. in support of automation installations.
- Process design for liquid and solid mixing, packaging processes, designing manufacturing layouts, coordinating equipment selections, interacting with contractors, and evaluating quotes
- Work closely with operations and materials development groups to seamlessly transfer processes into manufacturing.
- Develop specifications and qualify processing and packaging equipment for manufacturing use.
- Develop appropriate quality metrics to monitor capability of manufacturing processes, find sources of variation and implement controls.
- Develop a maintenance program to maximize process up time, and responsibility for the maintenance, repair and optimization of the production equipment and the training of the personnel for its proper use.
- Provide support to ensure that plant operations meet environmental and safety protocols in a cost-effective manner, including responsibility of good working condition and safety of production equipment. This includes scheduled and on-demand maintenance, documentation, tuning and calibration, in coordination with the respective production personnel.
- Monitor current procedures and equipment for adequate performance, identify potential for improvement or capacity increase, and propose plans for the required modifications (including equipment investments, labor, organizational changes and expected benefit).
- Installation or modification of laboratory equipment.
- Design of new manufacturing equipment and plant layout, evaluation of quotes, coordination and supervising of contractors, testing and certification of equipment.
Education and Training
- Minimum Bachelor of Science degree in Chemical Engineering discipline with appropriate experience.
- Desired 2 – 5 years of experience in design and installation of batch manufacturing of liquid or powder materials (chemical, material, food, or pharmaceutical processing environment preferred).
- Candidate will have relative experience with the design and mechanics of conveyors, pneumatics, pumps, gears, mixers, valves, etc. in support of automation installations.
- Experience with Allen Bradley and/or other controllers a plus.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Must have experience supporting multiple simultaneous manufacturing processes with respect to design, equipment installation, and working with personnel, scheduling, materials, and product quality measures.
- Proven experience with process automation systems and quality management systems. Experience with supplier quality management would be a plus. Lean Manufacturing experience preferred
Level of education
- Mechanical Or Industrial Engineering
- Information Technology & Services
- Supply Chain